Fuse keeps blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me please?

I have a floor lamp which uses 3 x 40watt bulbs. Recently the fuse in the plug keeps blowing and I wondered what may cause this to keep happening. The plug is fitted with a 3amp fuse, which is what was in the plug when I first bought the lamp and so have replaced the blown fuse with 3 amp fuses.

The lamp has a floor on/off switch which has a slight crack in it. The lamp is at the side of an armchair my 90 year old father sits and he tends to use his walking stick to press the switch to put the lamp on and I suspect this may have caused the crack. Would the crack be making the fuse blow as a safety precaution? If not, what could be causing it?

The lamp is not very old, just about a year and was bought together with a ceiling light fitting and wall lamps to match, all of which are fine and have not caused any problems.

Thank you in anticipation.

Pebbsy

Sponsored Links
Your lamp sounds like it has an internal short. Either at the switch or the wiring. Even with a crack, I would have thought it unusual for the switch to short, but you never know.

My advice is stop using it and get a replacement.

Could be a number of things, when does the fuse blow?
Does it blow randomly or at the time the lamp is switched on?

Depending on which, I would be investigating for damage flex, loose connections a plug, switch and lampholders.
The state of the existing switch is not particularly good nor is the method used to make it operate. The switches can be replaced, having a damaged casing could be a potential hazard.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies.

The fuse blows when the lamp is switched on. I've told my Dad he's not to use his stick to press it on, but he forgets. :(

I have ordered a new switch from eBay and will be replacing the old one when it arrives. Hopefully, it is the switch causing the problem. If it's not the switch and the problem still exists it will probably be cheaper to buy a new lamp than pay for an electrician to come to look at it and repair it. I've had a look and the same lamp is still being sold. :)

Thanks again for your replies.

Pebbsy

Not cheap I know, but buy your Dad a remote system, so he can turn the light on and off by remote control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back