Fusebox Lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to put a lamp in the fusebox to see the meters better, what's the easiest way to wire it ? Thanks

2.JPG

Sponsored Links
I would agree with @Jackrae some thing like this 1656147714799.pngis best option so it auto lights with a power failure, better outside the box so you can see way to box on power failure, I have one top of stairs, so I can see the way down stairs with power failure.

Sounds good but I need to wire it so it charges, what's the best way to take a feed out of there ?

Sponsored Links
I was meaning something low-tech out of Poundland (or elsewhere). Sometimes we over-think solutions to problems that doesn't really exist.

Yeah, I looked at that motion sensor LED, but battery runs out after few months or whatever, nobody knows then when crisis comes no battery. Anyway maybe you can help me, is there an easy way to get a feed out of the fusebox to do the lamp. I have done plug sockets and light circuits before but not been in the box, maybe you can help. Cheers

The small brown round junction box below and to the right of the consumer unit would seem a likely place to connect a light.
Depending on what size cable, and what protective devices it's connected to.

Yeah, I looked at that motion sensor LED, but battery runs out after few months or whatever, nobody knows then when crisis comes no battery. Anyway maybe you can help me, is there an easy way to get a feed out of the fusebox to do the lamp. I have done plug sockets and light circuits before but not been in the box, maybe you can help. Cheers

An easy way, would be to add a 13amp socket, as a spur to the downstairs socket circuit or ring. Another sensible solution, especially for a rechargeable light which comes on with power loss, would be to add a 13amp socket to the downstairs lighting circuit - but ensure the socket is suitable marked up for use only with that light.

An easy way, would be to add a 13amp socket, as a spur to the downstairs socket circuit or ring. Another sensible solution, especially for a rechargeable light which comes on with power loss, would be to add a 13amp socket to the downstairs lighting circuit - but ensure the socket is suitable marked up for use only with that light.
Don’t add a 13a socket to the lighting circuit. Very bad practice. You have all the circuits available in that cupboard. Use the correct one.

What's the light switch mounted to the skirting controlling ?

Nothing to do with your original question but it's interesting to note that there's no security seals on the gas meter input/output connections, the DNO terminal head and maybe also on the electric meter

Don’t add a 13a socket to the lighting circuit. Very bad practice. You have all the circuits available in that cupboard. Use the correct one.

Are you at it again, do you never learn - It is within regulations to add a 13amp socket to a lighting circuit and perfectly acceptable practice to do so.

Are you at it again, do you never learn - It is within regulations to add a 13amp socket to a lighting circuit and perfectly acceptable practice to do so.
It is BAD practice particularly in that location where someone may plug in a 13 amp appliance. Notes fall off, are not read. All the circuits are available there, why not use the correct one.

So called regs have been wrong before, that is why there are so many amendments. This appears to be another case.

=============================================================================

Will someone please write a post to go in the FAQs about this?

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back