Fused spur question for 3Kw heater

Sponsored Links
Where things need to be plugged in, is where things need to be plugged it - usually there is little choice as to which socket to use and certainly never considered by a user.
Exactly, and there's no reason (maybe even the converse to some extent) why the question of where 'things need to be plugged in' has anything to do with the locations, or wiring arrangements, of the sockets - so, by my reckoning, if they just 'plugged things in where they needed to be plugged in', they would be no less chance of 'overloading' some of the circuit with your (very unusual) arrangement than in would be with conventional wiring, would they?
The other way to wire a long straight run of sockets on a wall, would be for each socket to be wired in turn, with the final socket at the far end - having a long run back to the consumer unit. Are you suggesting that might be a better way of laying out the circuit John?
Isn't that the 'normal' way?

If a circuit consists literally of (only) what you describe (just one line of sockets in a straight line), then the argument for it to be wiring as a ring of any sort (and wired in any fashion) is pretty weak.

Kind Regards, John

Exactly, and there's no reason (maybe even the converse to some extent) why the question of where 'things need to be plugged in' has anything to do with the locations, or wiring arrangements, of the sockets - so, by my reckoning, if they just 'plugged things in where they needed to be plugged in', they would be no less chance of 'overloading' some of the circuit with your (very unusual) arrangement than in would be with conventional wiring, would they?

Nothing unusual about it, it was absolutely standard practice I can assure you and for the very good reasons I explained earlier - it minimises volts drop and evens out the load along both ends of the ring. Were the cables singles in conduit, it would also make it much easier drawing shorter lengths in as well as using up shorter cable lengths.

If a circuit consists literally of (only) what you describe (just one line of sockets in a straight line), then the argument for it to be wiring as a ring of any sort (and wired in any fashion) is pretty weak.

Kind Regards, John

All I did was for the sake of discussion, lay the usual ring out serving an irregular area layout, into a a run along a wall - to make discussion simpler. I do appreciate a radial circuit along a wall might well be a more sensible method, but that was not the point.

Sponsored Links
Nothing unusual about it, it was absolutely standard practice I can assure you and for the very good reasons I explained earlier - it minimises volts drop and evens out the load along both ends of the ring.
No necessarily, and that's what I don't get about your argument.

As you've said, things "get plugged in where they need to be plugged in" - and if those places ("where they need to be plugged in") happen to be in every alternate socket (which is no less likely, perhaps more likely, than in adjacent sockets) they would all be on the same arm of the ring.

Since, as you say "things get plugged in where they need to be plugged in", unless the designer is a clairvoyant, there's nothing that he/she can do to anticipate "what will be plugged into which socket" - so the 'alternate socket' wiring arrangement is no more likely to be 'better' than 'adjacent socket' wiring, is it?

Kind Regards, John

As you've said, things "get plugged in where they need to be plugged in" - and if those places ("where they need to be plugged in") happen to be in every alternate socket (which is no less likely, perhaps more likely, than in adjacent sockets) they would all be on the same arm of the ring.

..and the chances of that happening are very unlikely.

Since, as you say "things get plugged in where they need to be plugged in", unless the designer is a clairvoyant, there's nothing that he/she can do to anticipate "what will be plugged into which socket" - so the 'alternate socket' wiring arrangement is no more likely to be 'better' than 'adjacent socket' wiring, is it?

The designer/installer can to a large extent ensure the ring is evenly loaded, especially true in the wall example I gave.

The designer/installer can to a large extent ensure the ring is evenly loaded, especially true in the wall example I gave.
As I said, not necessarily, but I can't think of any clearer way to explain why than what I have already written.

What do you think the designer is going to guess - that a number of large loads will be plugged into adjacent sockets, or 'every other one'?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back