fused spur to fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you connect a fused spur directly to another fused spur ?Thinking of 3 gang socket fused outlets connected together.

If it is ok - is it good practise?

Not possible anymore with ordinary spurs - although my house has been wired that way in one instance. Not by me, but it was acceptable when done.

Picture

Sponsored Links
DIYNOT have added a pic to my original post . Hopefully it is clear enough but I can have another go if not.

Although not clear from the diagram - the wall is 28ft long with (1) 2 gang socket and 2 single spurs off the socket (not acceptable now but ok when done a good number of years ago) I need a few more sockets on the wall for convenience more than anything else. I do not like trailing socket oulets but at the present time am forced to use them.

Trying to get this work completed before the 1st April 2004 deadline.

thanks for your reply

plan "A" loks good (assuming existing is 2.5 t & e, which it probably is)

Sponsored Links
Yo - plan A.

But why 3-gang sockets? That's an awful lot of outlets - 17 on that wall, whereas with Plan B you appear to be happy with 11. Why not use ordinary 2-gang jobbies?

Also, in B, you should, strictly speaking, have a fuse to protect that length of single 2.5mm.

thanks for the feedback - much appreciated

I prefer plan A as it just extends the ring circuit and does away with the chasing down to each socket.

Breezer
Yes it is 2.5 t&e

Ban-all-sheds

Have not figured out how many sockets.

My wall is 28ft long (living.dining combined) - what would be a reasonable number of sockets to put in. Opposite wall has 2 double sockets in the living area.

(1970,s installation - 20 socket outlets originally installed in a 3 bed house!)

Plan to put in sockets at approx 300mm height in line with existing and to return at 450mm (New building guidline/reg whatever)

Thanks guys

Well - I can't decide for you how many sockets you need, and I guess too many is always better than too few. I was just expressing surprise that you were going to use 3-gang ones everywhere rather than 2.

Is that wall completely plain, or are there architectural features which provide "obvious" places to put them, like alcoves, chimney breasts, radiators, pillars etc?

Also, if you have a spot where you are going to have a whole bunch of AV equipment, you might be interested in fitting 1 or 2 of these:

C231806-01.jpg

Either plugged in, or wired to an FCU, as a way of achieving a high density of outlets in one place. Available from RS. You can get flush mounting ones which look a lot neater:

C231805-01.jpg

but they don't do back-boxes, so you'd need to search for something the right size, or make one.

Just a thought.

Is that wall completely plain, or are there architectural features which provide "obvious" places to put them, like alcoves, chimney breasts, radiators, pillars etc?

Also, if you have a spot where you are going to have a whole bunch of AV equipment, you might be interested in fitting 1 or 2 of these:

Thanks - they look neat. Prefer flush fitting although they would be in an alcove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back