galv conduit into a plastic box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting some ip rated plastic sockets to some 20mm galv conduit, however i'm abit unsure whether the entry will still be classed as waterproof the way i'm doing it.
I'm simply putting a coupler on end of conduit, then a brass bush inside box and screwing tight.
Is this right, or is there a better/correct way of doing this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
No idea about the waterproofing issue, but one thing to check is is the galv conduit earthed at the other end, as obviously securing it to a plastic box it won't pick up an earth from that?

I am sure it will still comply with IP11 however I am also sure it will not comply with IP68.
So what you need to do is work out what IP ratting is required? Up to IP34 you will have no real problems but capillary action can allow water to enter quite well sealed joints and where heat can create a pressure difference it can be very hard to seal.

One thing that must be remembered is the conduit it's self is like a pipe and can direct water etc. From another area to your box.

If you really want a IP68 seal best idea is to fill box. I have used re-enterable compound in the past. It sets like a jelly and you can dig it out if required. I used it in submersible pump junction boxes.

Some of the EX2 glands can give very good seals but do remember EX2 is flame proof not water proof and although most are water proof they don't have to be.

Using IP washers will also help. As can using PTFE tape on threads. But until you state what IP (ingress protection) rating is required your question is like asking length of a piece of string.

Sponsored Links
Is it just the top hat to the socket which is exposed to the elements? We used to use silicoset to seal the thread and the top hat to accessory.
Saying that, not much use if whatever is above allows water to run in and down the inside of the conduit!
Is there anything above i.e. conduit boxes?
Use something like this to seal them: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/BIR391.JPG

Do you have a conduit bender?

Do a half swan neck down and under into the bottom of the socket.

If you dont have a bender, stop into a through box and then use a short length of flexi from the through box to the socket.

I would prefer not go into the top even with a washer.

If you do inter the top, make sure you drill a drain hole in the socket, and loop your cables to the bottom of the box and then up into the terminals.

Do you have a conduit bender?

Do a half swan neck down and under into the bottom of the socket.

If you dont have a bender, stop into a through box and then use a short length of flexi from the through box to the socket.

I would prefer not go into the top even with a washer.

If you do inter the top, make sure you drill a drain hole in the socket, and loop your cables to the bottom of the box and then up into the terminals.

http://www.waybuilder.net/sweethaven/BldgConst/ElecConduit/default.asp?iNum=0401

hope this helps
Be aware that that site appears to be american, i'm pretty sure thier standards are rather different from ours.

thanks for the responses.
Basically i'm replacing mainly metal clad sockets/switches for IP66 sockkets, there is galv conduit already in place which comes out of metal trunking higher up.
If I used some of this sealing compound at the top of the conduit to stop water coming down, ptfe's the threads, and silconed/plus sealed up the entry, would this be ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back