Galv trunking lid turnbuckle - old style

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI everyone

I need to fit a lid to an existing section of 6" galv trunking. The problem is that the turnbuckles that come with the new lid are too small and won't 'catch' over the end of the trunking lip (it old, so quite thick).

What I need is the old style turn buckle that runs the width of the trunking and you turn via a screw on the outside and it spins to catch on the inside of the trunking. Hope this makes sense!

I've searched online but can only find the one that the lid came with

Any ideas?

Thanks

SB

Sponsored Links
You need to find, and call, the manufacturer of the original equipment.

Apart from unistrut, which everyone has their own version of, there's nothing in the trunking world that standardised, as far as I know.

Hi there

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it will be possible to find the manufacturer info as the trunking must be at least 20 years old and filthy - no chance to see any markings on it

I don't normally deal with this type of enclosure - can you suggest some major manufacturers to try?

many thanks

SB

Newlec turn buckles are good for older, thicker trunking. BUT, for thick THICK trunking, use the turn buckles for the 2" trunking, they have longer "arms" (as one fitted in center of lid to catch both sides on 2"), and this longer arm is more forgiving of the thicker trunking.

Going by the pictures on line, I think Neweys may have switched brands though...

Sponsored Links
Assuming I haven't misunderstood, can't you just drill some small holes along the edges of the lid, and screw to the edges of the actual trunking?

Sounds like it's not worth being too particular over.

If you can remove the cables, and then pull them through again, you could weld the lid on. That would endear you to the next electrician... :evil:

I use really short tek screws on the edges of the trunking when reparing / replacing old / damaged / bent / broken etc lids.

HI peeps

Thanks again for all your replies.

The trunking houses the supply cables from the heads to 4 meters, so don't really want to replace it

I think sparkwright's and RF's suggestions are the way to go in this case. The trunking's in a cupboard so no matter if it looks a bit pants

Many thanks

SB

Quite normal to use your own fixing screws on trunking lid anyway, as often you have small sections of trunking, and a full length of lid only has about 3 turnbuckles.

Cool - thanks for that. I actually removed the turnbuckles and drilled new holes in the shorter length.... without checking that they would fit the old trunking - durrr - lesson learnt there!!!

Quite normal to use your own fixing screws on trunking lid anyway, as often you have small sections of trunking, and a full length of lid only has about 3 turnbuckles.

On a new install I would hope you would buy a pack of turn buckles and use em!

and six visits down the line some poor guy has the problem of fixing the damaged cable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back