Garage Conversion plus Single Storey Side Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All. We have an attached garage on our property on the side of the house. We're proposing converting it to a habitable living space. We will need to raise the ceiling height up to 2.5mtrs which I believe is ok under permitted development. We would also like to add a single storey extension to the side of the house, that would in effect extend the garage by about 2.5mtrs.

I've noticed that under permitted development(PD), you can build a side extension within certain parameters, but I'm also seeing that if you extend the garage you'd need planning permission. Have I read this correctly? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Can you provide a floor plan in addition to some photos?

Sorry I'm not well at present, but have done a very crude sketch, if you take a look and let me know if you need anything explaining. This is the rear of the property in the rear garden. Thanks.

Attachments

• Plan of Garage Conversion.jpg
    Plan of Garage Conversion.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 274
Is the attached garage original? If not, how wide is the original house, over 5m?

Does the front wall of the garage protrude forward of the original house wall?

Approx. how old is the property?

Does the property benefit from PD rights?

Sponsored Links
Yes.
No it is flush with the wall of the house
The house was built in 1960s/70s
I believe so. Not a consservation area or listed building if that's what you mean.

The proposals would normally constitute Permitted Development. It is down to you to check if your property benefits from PD rights. This may be in the form of a previous or original Planning approval. Other local Planning applications may have information on the PD situation. Failing that, your Local Planning Authority would need to advise.

Great thanks. I've just penned an email to LPA this evening, but it was good to get a potential ok pending the PD rights. Thanks very much for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back