Garage door infra red beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just bought some infra beam detectors for my automatic garage door (photo below) I'm a novice with things like this but quite sensible and with some guidance should be ok. I have a few questions to get these set up if anyone could assist please.

1. What type of cable should these be connected with?
2. Which connections should these be connected to in the door motor, it's a Gliderol GRD+?
3. Is there much of an issue in regards to how much in alignment do the two sensors need to be, obviously they need to relatively aligned but is there much of a tolerance?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181125-194358_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20181125-194358_eBay.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 341
Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

Here is photos of the infrared units, anyone confirm what connects to what?
20190112_141515.jpg

Sponsored Links
That shows a 3 pin connector , but no reference to what pin does what ....or what the 12v output is rated at ...

Yep, and that's why I'm asking for help on here to guide me, hopefully someone will come along soon who can help, thanks anyway.

Have you got a multimeter?
Is there 12v present at the eye symbol on the door box using gnd as 0v?
Are there any wires in the eye symbol?

If there is a wire shorting eye to say 12v or GND then removing it will make the door stop. Therefore it needs to go common to NC on the infared beam.
If there is no voltage at eye, then I assume it goes from 12v to common from NO and to eye.

Can you post a picture of the controller terminals?

I don't have a multi meter but here's a photo of the door controller.

Attachments

• 20190113_111446.jpg
    20190113_111446.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 311
Looking at the wiring of the up/down buttons they go between ground and the input. I would wire the sensor in the same.
Perhaps test it by running the door and putting a short between gnd and the eye and the door should stop?

If this works wire the beams in using COM and NO terminals.

I've managed to find this diagram of a Gliderol sensor. I can see where the positive and negatives mow go but stillti not sure of the other 2/3 connections?

Attachments

• 20190203_172711.jpg
    20190203_172711.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 335
Put a wire shorting the eye symbol and gnd and see if the door stops coming down?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back