Garage insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this had been asked before but I'm getting a lot of different answers to this question.

I have a double garage, separate to the house with a pitched roof. The rafters are partially boarded out for storage. The walls are painted and the floor is sealed and painted.

I need to insulate the garage for a number of reasons mainly to stop items being ruined through rust or mould but also to stop the floor becoming very slippy/wet.

I have a heater in there but with there being no insulation in the roof it's just pi**sing out the roof.

Would attaching the foil insulation to the roof beams, not rafters. Sort this issue out or create more condensation. Any other ideas. Would like to keep the cost down as much as possible.

Manu thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Am I correct in thinking you have no ceiling and its cold? if that is the case then build a ceiling and insulate it.

Sorry to ask a daft question but what's the benefit of creating a ceiling and insulating it over insulating just the roof?

Sponsored Links
Attaching insulation to the rafters would be fine as long as you maintained a vented air gap between the insulation and roof covering.

Sounds like you need to vent the garage as well, what are you using to heat it?

You will be heating X cubic metres of space that does not need to be heated and your garage will be warmer.

:rolleyes: just re-read this!

Attaching the insulation to the ceiling wont stop the condensation in the garage! you need ventilation.

And you would still have moisture dripping down from rafter level.

:rolleyes: just re-read this!

Attaching the insulation to the ceiling wont stop the condensation in the garage! you need ventilation.

And you would still have moisture dripping down from rafter level.

That's what I was fearing.

Would a decent dehumidifier be a better investment?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back