Garage leak through ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had issues with our garage ceiling since we moved into our new build

Almost 4 years later now....I know....it's still leaking after being repaired numerous times, they are still repairing it...must be in the 15/16th attempt.

I know it's hard to tell without seeing it, but here is some photos taken from inside the ceiling (they made a hole)

Any ideas what could be causing it as they clearly don't know....

Attachments

• IMG_6291.jpeg
    IMG_6291.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6258.jpeg
    IMG_6258.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
No completely useless, need photos of the outside to show some context. Single skin, cavity wall, is there a room over the garage or not is there a flat or pitched roof, is it joined to the house or detached come on throw us a bone!

Sorry .

Hopefully these will give an idea

We've had the cavity trays replaced 3/4 times, the damp course re done.

Part of me thinks it's the wind as it's like a wind trap on the estate, and the leak only ever appears when the wind is high.
IMG_6297.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Where is the water ingress relative to that window?

Windows like that with no cill are high risk for water penetration below the frame, and care is needed with the installation.

And just because you think cavity trays may have been fitted, that does not mean they have been fitted correctly - ie chased into the internal leaf of the cavity wall.

if the ingress is below that frame, those plinth bricks and dentil course below need to come off, and a horizontal tray fitted below the frame.

As an interim measure, you could have the section of wall coated with a clear water repellent. But ideally, you would want confirmation that water is not entering the cavity from the main roof.

The water ingress from this photo would align with the window (under the window)

As you can just about see the truss is Ali soaked towards the back.

All the after atm tracks to the right side of the garage as you're looking at it

IMG_6305.jpeg

IMG_6298.jpeg

I'd suggest you get an independent building surveyor out to report just on this ingress.

It's difficult to make things out from the photos.

The only other thing I'd add is, if you have water on the face of the wall higher up just below the roof, then that may indicate a roof/ flashing leak. If water is mainly at the bottom of the wall, like on the ceiling in the last photo, then that may be a cavity dampness issue. But that's not definitive.

Have a look just after it starts raining and see if you can pinpoint where on the wall the damp starts.

Thanks for the advice

We've had water on the whole ceiling before in the garage and both walls

We've had the cavity trays replaced numerous times and added/removed, flashing re done, water seal etc etc

I would have the ceiling taken down so you get a better idea of what is happening and keep a diary of wind direction, rain etc to assist in determining which particular weather conditions are affecting the leak.

Personally I had an en suite above my garage and the builders conveniently put a plasterboard nail through the shower drain when they installed the ceiling. Didn't take long to find the leak once the shower was in use.

I would have the ceiling taken down so you get a better idea of what is happening and keep a diary of wind direction, rain etc to assist in determining which particular weather conditions are affecting the leak.

Personally I had an en suite above my garage and the builders conveniently put a plasterboard nail through the shower drain when they installed the ceiling. Didn't take long to find the leak once the shower was in use.
Yeah we've had bathroom issues at the house as well. Two loose waste traps, two holes needed in the ceiling.

We've had a similar water ingress issue on the back of our property with the flat roof in the kitchen area. That seems to be holding up (for now).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back