GARAGE OR EXTRA LIVING SPACE ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have you or would you consider converting your garage into extra living space. Do you think it adds value or devalues a property to convert garage ?

Sponsored Links
If it was done correctly, and you had room for a seperate garage, then it should add value.

What if it was done correctly but there was NO room for a separate garage.....which is what OP meant I think.

What if it was done correctly but there was NO room for a separate garage.....which is what OP meant I think.
Providing there was room for off road parking, then it should still increase
the value, how many garages are actually used to garage a car? most are just storage rooms, out of sight out of mind.
Small shed round the back for garden tools bikes etc.

Sponsored Links
have you got ample off-street parking, excluding the garage?

Have you got access to the garden past the side of the house? and how wide is it?

If "no" to either of these points, removing the garage might make the property undesirable.

I would not worry too much if it would increase or decrease the value if you plan to stay there ,I turned my garage into another room as I found that the garage was full of junk and the car stayed on the drive as tbh its been a godsend but mine was a easy conversion due to the layout and if I did sell the next owner would really only have to take out the window and wall below it ,take out the floor joists and fit a garage door , he will then have a nice plastered garage with a rad and tv/phone points :D :D :D

have you got ample off-street parking, excluding the garage?

Have you got access to the garden past the side of the house? and how wide is it?

If "no" to either of these points, removing the garage might make the property undesirable.

Appreciate your reply. In our case we would still have ample off-street parking if we did decide to convert garage but this would mean no rear access to side without going through front door entrance.

Providing there was room for off road parking, then it should still increase
the value, how many garages are actually used to garage a car? most are just storage rooms, out of sight out of mind.
Small shed round the back for garden tools bikes etc.

Very good point to make - thanks for your opinion on this

I would not worry too much if it would increase or decrease the value if you plan to stay there ,I turned my garage into another room as I found that the garage was full of junk and the car stayed on the drive as tbh its been a godsend but mine was a easy conversion due to the layout and if I did sell the next owner would really only have to take out the window and wall below it ,take out the floor joists and fit a garage door , he will then have a nice plastered garage with a rad and tv/phone points :D :D :D

In your case that seems to have worked out well, thanks for sharing your views

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back