Garden Bench Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Looking to repair a garden bench and was wondering about the right way to do it.

One slate is missing and was wondering if I could get a piece of wood from Homebase and get it cut to the right lenght - type of wood like on the picture.

Would that be suitable for a slate? or do I need proper wood? as the bit on the picture is like compressed wood things...

If so, where do I get it from? as Homebase, B and Q do not store proper wood...

Thanks
Jeremy

Attachments

• 2015-06-20 09.15.17.jpg
    2015-06-20 09.15.17.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 2015-06-20 09.15.22.jpg
    2015-06-20 09.15.22.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 195
Sponsored Links
woodyard not the diy sheds
what size the slats width thickness and length ??

Last edited:
Thanks Big-all,
Size of the slate is 4ft x 2.1/4 x 3/4 inches.

Ok will get to a wood yard - found one on google.

What type of wood would you recommend to get by the way?

I am planning to paint the bench with culprinol pastel paint to make it nicer, would I need to treat the wood first?

Thanks,

i would buy pressure treated timber

2.1/4x 3/4" it a bum size for treated timber
2x1" tile batons if you want a cheap option but expect a 30% waste off material and perhaps a 5 year life span if you replace all timbers
otherwise ask for there suggestions with what they have in stock and how they can machine it

Sponsored Links
BA is correct. Bit of a bum size.

If I were you, I would replace all 6 slats using a standard size pressure treated timber. That way, you only need to cut them to length and drill the fixing holes (remember to treat the holes and any cut ends)

Alternatively, if you wanted something longer lasting and better looking, buy some nice hardwood slats pre-prepared and then drill the holes.

Depends how much work you want to do and how much you want to spend.

B

Hello there,

Many thanks both for your reply.
By bum size... what do you mean?

Sorry pretty newbie diy wise and not a native too!!! lol

What kind of product would you recommend to tread the wood before to paint it? or Can I paint it with Culprinol shade directly?

Thanks,

Timber merchants (and sheds for that matter) stock what they deem as standard sizes of timber i.e. those sizes which are regularly called for. There are lots of different standard sizes of normal (untreated) timber but none of the standard sizes of normal (untreated) timber will exactly measure what you have here. In any event, you really need treated timber and that is stocked in even less of a selection of sizes. Your slats are approximately 19 x 57mm. You won't find something that size in regular stock (closest would be 19 x 50) in normal (untreated) wood. Treated timber is even more problematic because the nearest would be either 47 x 100 (cut in 2 to make 2 slats of 23.5 x 50)
You can get timber battens (treated) sized at 25 x 50 but, again, there is a size difference and (as BA states) they are generally p*ss poor quality and won't last very long.

In short, you will find, in all probablity, that no wood merchants will stock the exact size you need. Therefore, you will either need to make enquiries about them cutting it to size for you from exisiting treated stock or you doing the cutting yourself (providing you have the correct tools)

As I said, the alternative is to go for proper hardwood which is significantly more expensive but will last much longer (even more so if appropriately treated) There are online wood merchants who will cut hardwood to exact sizes (all you would have to do is drill the bolt holes)

Does that make sense?

Come back and ask more questions if you have any.

B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back