Garden Sheds

That's right.

I don't know if you can buy Marbo RCBOs or if it is a rebrand of another make. If not, I would be inclined to have a RCD on the Shed supply, outside the house CU.

Most people would put this at the shed CU, on the grounds that if you are working in the shed and the RCD trips, it is more convenient to reset it there than to go into the house.

Since you have a split-load CU (the circuits on the right are on the RCD, the circuits on the left are not) it would be inconvenient if the shed tripped the house RCD, since you would lose your sockets and shower supply (and the cooker).

Did you fit the new CU yourself?

p.s. How many cores are there in the SWA, and what are their colours?

Sponsored Links
No we recently had our kitched done just before chirstmas so a new ring was needed so we decided to go for the whole deal as the fuses wern't too good! So I need to buy an RCD for the shed. Is it not ok for me to continue what I have been doing, everything I plug into the shed, lawnmower, strimmer etc is plugged in via a socket RCD such as this:

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/ma/masterplug-power-protection-rcd-safety-adaptor.jpg

If not where would I purchase a RCD for the CU for the shed?

Many thanks,
Foster

The r/h edge of the CU and the style of RCD look a bit like Wylex. Is Marbo an Electrium brand?

EDIT: Stupid question, yes it is!

Although having just d/loaded their brochure the Marbo range does not seem to include CU's.

Sponsored Links
If the circuit is not RCD protected, and there is space on the RCD side of your board, it can be put there, but best to put the RCD in the shed.

I think there is a slot spare, do I literally just need to switch off the main switch on the CU and I can just swap them?

Thing is I just thought, the Up and Down lights are on the left side of the CU yet if a bulb goes, they all trip out.

If you can do it safely, turn off the main switch, take off the front of the CU, and take a pic, then we can comment on configuration of the CU.

It is usual practice nowadays to have a small "shed and garage" CU in the outbuilding on a submain from the house, with its own RCD, and an MCB for lights, and one for sockets. These are very inexpensive, In your case you might have an additional MCB for shed 2.

It looks as if this is going to be notifiable work.

Oh dear I don't like where this is going! However I wish to learn as much as I can! So it's good and bad.

At the present moment I cannot di this as it's dark :LOL: and my folks are using quite a lot of electronics at the moment so I will do it tommorow when I get home from work!

Thanks for all the help so far guys! I will continue to check the forum tonight!

I have discovered that the shed MCB is not on the RCD and is not protected. :unsure: Where to go from here?

If you have space on the RCD side, then move the circuit over. But make sure the neutral and cpc are also moved into appropriate terminals.

This is notifiable work, BTW.

Made a decision earlier, it has been decided that we will not have power to the sheds at all as both will be removed for now and we will just use an extension cord for the lawnmower etc in the summer. So no power to the sheds. :(

Everything has been disconnected but how do I remove the SWA cable glands?

See:

Photo-0005.jpg

Photo-0004.jpg

Any idea's?

Anyway it's all out in the house so it's just a case of removing these.

two spanners

Or a hacksaw through the SWA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back