Gas cooker connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a photo of the connector for my gas cooker.

I need to move the cooker while the walls are skimmed and the floor is laid. Can I (as a non-CORGI) person disconnect the cooker from this outlet. If so, are there any tips ?

Secondly, Can a connector such as this be left disconnected? In my new kitchen the cooker will be on the other side of the room - I will not be connecting in by myself. Do I need to ask my plumber to cap off this soon to be not required outlet or can I just leave it. It will be behind a cupboard by christmas (hopefully)

Thanks,
Ben

Sponsored Links
You can disconnect it, there is a valve that will stop any gas from passing through when you disconnect it, so don't worry.

Anyone is allowed to disconnect a cooker Corgi or not Corgi.

Not actually true, As this is a fitting that passes gas threw therefore you would need to be a corgi enginner to remove the cooker. had bayonett fittings not shutt off before!

My advise is to let your corgi registred plumber have a look!

Anyone carrying out work on gas appliances or fittings as part of their business must be competent and registered with CORGI.
Only a competent person can carry out work on gas appliances or fittings. Do-it-yourself work on gas appliances or fittings could be dangerous and is likely to be illegal.

you don't need to be corgi to disconnect/re-connect a bayonett fitting on a cooker for decorating or cleaning etc purposes.

Sponsored Links
am i being thick?? but i can't work out which way up the bayonet is, any non corgi can disconnect a cooker bayonet to clean, fit flooring etc, BUT if contractors do it as a way of saving money on a job they will get shafted if a leak is left by a pipe being disturbed by joiners etc as nobody tested it, so it depends what is being done, a bayonet can be left as a permanent cap as long as it is facing down, secured to wall and not leaking, can the OP confirm this? if not and the position is not going to be used again it would make sense to disconnect and cap bayonet.

am i being thick?? but i can't work out which way up the bayonet is, any non corgi can disconnect a cooker bayonet to clean, fit flooring etc, BUT if contractors do it as a way of saving money on a job they will get shafted if a leak is left by a pipe being disturbed by joiners etc as nobody tested it, so it depends what is being done, a bayonet can be left as a permanent cap as long as it is facing down, secured to wall and not leaking, can the OP confirm this? if not and the position is not going to be used again it would make sense to disconnect and cap bayonet.

am i being thick?? .

don't know but you done it twice
36_1_11.gif

Sorry for the confusing photo, it was really difficult to get a decent image.
The skirting board runs horizontally across the photo with the will above and the floor below. The pipe comes out of the floor turns 90 degrees with the bayonet horizontal.

I removed the cooker last night and the bayonet disconnected successfully with no noticeable leaks (no smell of gas).

Is this safe to leave like this for the life of my new kitchen or should I get a CORGI plumber to cap it off?

Not actually true, As this is a fitting that passes gas threw therefore you would need to be a corgi enginner to remove the cooker. had bayonett fittings not shutt off before!

My advise is to let your corgi registred plumber have a look!

Anyone carrying out work on gas appliances or fittings as part of their business must be competent and registered with CORGI.
Only a competent person can carry out work on gas appliances or fittings. Do-it-yourself work on gas appliances or fittings could be dangerous and is likely to be illegal.

Think someone needs to revise their gas safety regs.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll get a CORGI plumber to do the necessary.

its perfectly ok for a user to disconnect a bayonet it doesnt need capping off and the pic is 90deg out of orientation, check the way the cable is hanging. ;)

Advisable but not a reg book says perfectly ok to leave a bayonet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back