gas fire installation

Yep all changed used to go in merchants and there would be rolls and rolls of copex even big drums of it for cutting length you needed in stock go in now and the younger assistants say whats copex

Sponsored Links
The chimney is being swept before fitting.Both said a liner was not needed.
Both said 4 hours with no problems.
I just wondered at the hourly rate,not having any gas work done before.
Take off the fire at £ 520, materials £80?,thats how I looked at it.
I had no idea what tradesman charged.
.I think I will stick to my coal fire at he moment
Thanks all

Scaffolding for a standard glue liner job?
In the day there probably would not have been enough scaff to go around.
@FiremanT I was at a job this week, on one side of the road a lad running up a roof to fit a TV aerial on a chimney breast, house I am working in on other side of the road a lad from Sky fitting a dish about 12 feet up, looks like he is going to war , ladder anchored to the wall and to the ground, never seen so much PPE

description you are being ripped off even at 1300 quid 2000 is diabolical will the fire fit straight into existing opening ?

Sponsored Links
Yeah but we do know that a 4 hour quote is not 700 to 1400 quids worth of work no matter how you dress it up

lad from Sky fitting a dish about 12 feet up, looks like he is going to war , ladder anchored to the wall and to the ground, never seen so much PPE
They get the sack if they don't. They aren't allowed in the loft either so have to throw the cable over the roof...

Totally agree @FiremanT I just have a gripe about anyone challenging a price that has been given by an attending engineer who has actually seen a job and given a quote, yes the quotes seem high but we havent seen the job , the ones who have quoted have seen the job, 4 hours with floorboards already up for 4m of pipe and fit a fire ????? I smell shoite
Nobody is quoting without seeing the job, merely commenting that £1300 for a 4 hour job,,1 person,,,gas fitter,,is steep..

I wasn't challenging the quote,just trying to find out if it was fair.
Both engineers were very efficent and knew their job .
But these were companies.
I am going to get quotes from self employed plumbers after all the comments.
I'm learning thanks for all the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back