Gas hob ignition & electric oven on the same switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So recently my oven keeps tripping the electricity (whenever I turn the knob)

I’m thinking of getting a new oven to replace the 2kw IKEA oven I have at the moment. Currently the gas hob and oven are wired together. (Both cables go to the same white box and there’s no other plug/box near)

I have several questions:
1. Can I still wire them together if I get a 3kw oven? Or a 2.9kw oven that comes with a plug?
2. Should I order a fused spur switch? Or separate them with two boxes?

Sorry for being a noob and much appreciated guys!

Attachments

• 9B2F6544-F92D-44DE-BD27-1FE9ACDA2984.jpeg
    9B2F6544-F92D-44DE-BD27-1FE9ACDA2984.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 254
Sponsored Links
Please give details of the circuit that both are connected to .

What else ,besides oven and gas hob ignition, is on that circuit ?

Sponsored Links
If there is only the above mentioned on that 30 amp circuit , then yes you can fit a more powerful oven and hob ignition .

If there is only the above mentioned on that 30 amp circuit , then yes you can fit a more powerful oven and hob ignition .
Thanks! And should I order a fused spur switch/ cooker control? (As it’s required for a 3kw+ oven) and is it okay if my kitchen doesn’t have the red cooker switch?

just want to make sure I’m prepared when the new oven arrives and what oven to order

You can add a cooker control unit / isolation switch if you wish , but it is not a requirement. If your new oven comes fitted with a plug ,you may wish to consider changing the connection unit ,that you currently have ,for a two gang socket ,into which you could plug the oven and hob ignition .

You can add a cooker control unit / isolation switch if you wish , but it is not a requirement. If your new oven comes fitted with a plug ,you may wish to consider changing the connection unit ,that you currently have ,for a two gang socket ,into which you could plug the oven and hob ignition .
Hmm because for ovens over 3kw, they all say it requires hard wiring to 13amps fused spur

Note I said" IF " it comes with a plug fitted, it can obviously go into a socket. Ovens over 3kw will need to be hard wired ,and not into a fused spur . A fused spur fitted with a 13 amp fuse would be pretty pointless if your new oven draws more than 13 amps ,wouldn't it.

Note I said" IF " it comes with a plug fitted, it can obviously go into a socket. Ovens over 3kw will need to be hard wired ,and not into a fused spur . A fused spur fitted with a 13 amp fuse would be pretty pointless if your new oven draws more than 13 amps ,wouldn't it.
Huh and John Lewis didn’t let me to add installation service because I don’t have that red cooker switch

Attachments

• 30E3F3F0-D0C6-4AE5-BFD2-110AD88EB176.jpeg
    30E3F3F0-D0C6-4AE5-BFD2-110AD88EB176.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 129
Huh and John Lewis didn’t let me to add installation service because I don’t have that red cooker switch
Hmmm. Many may feel that it would be 'preferable' for it to be hard-wired, but if it's 2.99 kW it could theoretically be fitted with a 13A plug and plugged into a socket - and, in any event, if it were more than 2.99 kW (and therefore definitely did need hard-wiring) it certainly would not be appropriate/possible to hard-wire it "to a 13A fuse" in the manner suggested in that document! ... so it seems that whoever wrote it didn't have much of a clue :)

Kind Regards, John

My new Neff oven is rated at 2.99kw and came with a plug. Germany assumes 230 volts mains and so the oven draws 13 amps over there. But here it is around 240v mains and so the oven will draw about 12.5 amps. My mains are always between 242-246 volts in fact, so well below the plug threshold. I have a double plug socket, one for the oven and one for the gas hob, as suggested above. (The oven only draws anything like 12.5 amps with the grill on full whack)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back