Gas leak ?

So you want to know the procedure on how to carry out a tightness test along with permissible pressure drops for all types of meters/pipework with appliances connected??
Book yourself in for further learning with a budget of around 10k to boot.......and if deemed competent then carry out the tightness test yourself.

And still not have a clue!

Sponsored Links
If there is a leak on the pipework, would you not want it fixed regardless of it being potentially just inside or outside permissible tolerances/regulations?

Forums are excellent for opinions but you are never sure who's giving them and it is certain they will differ. One thing you will notice (especially on here) is that the "competent, registered professionals", who have impressive forum profiles (number of posts, thanks and likes etc) will all have very similar opinions and advice; and so they should because they are all Gas Safe! That's the purpose of the register!

Ultimately, the only individual who's advice you should take is the person you are 'rewarding' for the work and who's name and signature will be at the bottom of the certificate!
The most important point from all of this is that a leak is discovered and rectified... End of!

Never come on here to start saying I know what I am on about and alot start getting ratty.

1) I could not smell gas and checked meter to make sure it was not moving which I did not have to.

2) I have a gas engineer coming out to carry out a tightness test again.

3) Yes I would rather have it completely fixed but just started reading and came across drops so asked a few questions . SORRY FOR THIS. But I am certainly not the first and not the last. No need to get called a idiot.

4) If my gas engineer says its safe but best running I pipe I will run a pipe hence why I checked meter when cant smell gas.

Some of yous need to take a chill honestly no need you do not know who i am to called me a idiot.

Does your cert actually record a tightness test? There is no compulsion for a RGI to carry out a tightness test unless he has turned off the ECV for some reason. The "test" at the meter may have been the gas rating.

The 0.25 figure you have found somewhere is not a "permissable" drop. Read again.

Sponsored Links
Ill just wait till 6pm and see what gas engineer says. Sorry I asked. Not as if I was gonna fit a gas main myself.

Last edited:
Ill just wait till 6pm and see what gas engineer says. Sorry I asked. Not as if I was gonna fit a gas main myself.
well I for one hope its sorted by 6.30...

As for the replies you've received so far, its just that a lot of people come on here and either don't want to hear a certain answer (eg, it needs to be fixed, despite any costs) or they have already decided on their course of action, so anything offered is really a waste of breath/typing. I would hazard a guess you are in the first category....as many tend to be....

Its nearly always the best course to get a trusted pro in to advise, at the end of the day, as only then will your mind be set at rest (even though your wallet may not always thank you for it, your spouse/children/neighbours will be very grateful in the long run).

As for the replies you've received so far, its just that a lot of people come on here and either don't want to hear a certain answer (eg, it needs to be fixed, despite any costs) or they have already decided on their course of action, so anything offered is really a waste of breath/typing. I would hazard a guess you are in the first category....as many tend to be....

Its nearly always the best course to get a trusted pro in to advise, at the end of the day, as only then will your mind be set at rest (even though your wallet may not always thank you for it, your spouse/children/neighbours will be very grateful in the long run).

TBH I was always in the second catagory. Cost would never come into it if it needed fixing.

But thanks it is fixed now. It had a 6 bar drop turned out it was a 10 mm pipe behind plasterboard kinked where there use to be a fire.

Last edited:
Credit where it's due there. The op had his LGSC and was still on the ball enough to spot something amiss, and was concerned enough to get it sorted.
Lot's of landlords don't give a fck as long as they have that piece of paper so well done mate.
Though how anyone can sign a safety cert without doing a proper test is beyond me.

I will sign a cert and write tightness test not done, but I think you are only supposed to do that when you can visibly see the whole gas run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back