Gas mains pressure and leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a smart meter fitted a few months ago and he tested the pipework for leaks. From memory the pressure was millibars, ie negligible, so I am wondering with so low pressure, how can you detect leaks? I presume you can sellotape over cracks in the pipes and you'd be OK?

Sponsored Links
I had a smart meter fitted a few months ago and he tested the pipework for leaks. From memory the pressure was millibars, ie negligible, so I am wondering with so low pressure, how can you detect leaks? I presume you can sellotape over cracks in the pipes and you'd be OK?
Just because it's low pressure doesn't mean it can't leak. I assume he would use foam or soapy water on the joints he'd made. But you'd soon smell it if there were a significant leak.

Sponsored Links
Just because it's low pressure doesn't mean it can't leak. I assume he would use foam or soapy water on the joints he'd made. But you'd soon smell it if there were a significant leak.
or do a tightness test, which all pros are supposed to do will show in seconds

"I presume you can sellotape over cracks in the pipes and you'd be OK?"

Got to be a wind up, but having said that, we are surrounded by morons who would do such a thing.

What is a tightness test, other than what I suggested? Just asking
you attach a manometer to the gas meter test point and close the incoming control valve and if there is a leak the guage will drop, a bit more to it than that but that is the general idea

That and soapy water/foam shouldn't be used, it contains salt and other stuff that isn't very good for copper/brass/SSteel and can also promote flammability. The liquid that's should be used is called leak detection fluid (LDF)

Reactions: CBW
That and soapy water/foam shouldn't be used, it contains salt and other stuff that isn't very good for copper/brass/SSteel and can also promote flammability. The liquid that's should be used is called leak detection fluid (LDF)
Also Promote flammability ? you mean can corrode the metal ?

Also Promote flammability
Yep, as well as corrosion ... some soaps are a mix of petroleum products or animal oils and fats, so the residue left once the water has evaporated can actually be flammable in itself.

One reason why soapy water is never used to leak test on O2 bottles, some soaps can leave flammable residue that can react directly with the HP O2 and ignite. Had an Uncle that worked at BOC and the subject of leak detection came up and they used to have to use LDF too as it's chemically inert.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back