Gas Man Says built in hob should not have a flexible hose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Any ideas why the gas man said my gas hob doesn't conform to building regs? We used to have a standalone cooker and we now have a fitted kitchen with a built in oven/gas hob.

He mentioned the gas pipe needed to be fixed and that the flexible hose would not be ideal.

Do I really care or need to get it changed? - I lived with the standalone cooker with no issues - so why is this so important? £380 for the privilege of whatever needed doing...

The gas pipe is located directly under the adjacent cabinet to the right. Mains gas pipe is 22mm > 15mm to the hob.

Cheers,
Sparky

20160316_161844.jpg
20160316_162014.jpg
20160316_162100.jpg

Sponsored Links
Any ideas why the gas man said my gas hob doesn't conform to building regs?
Because flexible hoses on hobs is against the gas regs. But manufacturers instructions are final. Check your hob instructions. Some do allow connection using a hose. But they are very rare.

It is up to you as to weather you get it changed.

All your gas engineer can do is to advise you. If you decide to ignore that advice then if anything happens in the future that causes a dangerous situation then it is your fault for ignoring his advice

Last edited:
As above really. A gas hob is subject to Gas Regs and as per them they should be fitted with rigid pipework and a means of local isolation (normally a quarter turn gas cock).

It is only permissible if it is specifically stated in the manufacturers instructions.

What make and model is the hob?

What is below the hob? I'm guessing an electric oven but don't want to presume.

Jon

Do I really care or need to get it changed?

You should care and think about getting it replaced regardless as a hot oven in close proximity to or touching the flexible hose can cause it to fail resulting in an uncontrolled gas leak around a source of ignition.

Jon

Sponsored Links
I would suggest not paying £380 though. If I read it correctly

Kitchen fitter!!!

It’s a cheap Logik from Currys. We weren’t sure if we wanted to stick with gas or go electric. But it’s been okay to be fair.

At the quoted price we either stick with it, get the piping fixed (cheaper quote someone else) or just go electric, which may cause us even more problem as it'll probably require a dedicated feed and I don't want the kitchen to be bust in any shape or form as that was already done pre-fit.

So correct me if I a wrong; I get having the isolation valve, but surely the cooker and the connection to the isolation valve would still require some type of flexible pipe wouldn't it?

Electric oven is directly underneath the hob.

Cheers,
Sparky

Would need the exact make and model but from experience then a Logik from currys will not allow a flexible connection.

£380 to put it right is way above what it should be even in Mayfair! It looks as though it T's off to the right of the unit and to a bayonet fitting. It would probably take an hour or so max covering for what we can't see. Can't really put a price to it but I would say at least half of what you have been quoted if not more.

You are wrong lol. It should be piped up rigid as there is a union connection from the hob to allow disconnection.

Jon

If you pop your area in your profile or post the start of the postcode there may be someone from here that can help you.

£380 is way too much to sort this, but it should be sorted. I'd charge about £100

£380 is way too much to sort this, but it should be sorted. I'd charge about £100

I was thinking the same region but the photos don't give a real picture. Units may have to come out to get to fittings to connect properly, it may be undersized, the fittings for the hob may have been binned so need for a new one. Too many variables to give an exact price. Also the area makes a difference to the price.

Not teaching grandma to suck eggs but I can't see how anyone can quote a price off that alone. Hence why I gave a guide line.

EDIT: I agree that £380 is way too much regardless.

Jon

Well I would also charge a little under £100 in an area with free parking.

In Mayfair I would have to come on public transport and charge a bit more.

Vehicle access to areas like that is seriously difficult.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back