Gas Man Says built in hob should not have a flexible hose?

Sponsored Links
These pics dan:?:;):D

downloadfile-3.jpg
downloadfile-2.jpg

Sorry mate. Couldn't resist!

Sponsored Links
don't understand why people use ptf tape on compression fittings when installing new pipework .

Just a month ago we had a flexible hose replaced with copper for a gas hob. It cost £65 and it was done done after we got back from work at 6pm.
View attachment 95526
View attachment 95527

Would've been half the price if he hadn't emptied his tub of gas seal everywhere!

I'd introduce him to clips, solder and a spirit level too if I were you.

Those pictures offend my eyes!

Oh and BTW your cheque bounced so you still owe me £65 ;)

Jon

I just hope that the PTFE tape on the threaded end is Gas Rated and not just regular 'Plumbers Tape for Everything'.

Generally it has an Yellow tint to easily identify it.

Patrick

From the picture it looks like it's Loctite 55 which is all encompassing but hard to tell.

never noticed the yellow tint, except when on the roll:)

Me neither but I'm going to have to check in the morning now!

It seemed it hadn't sunk in for some ;).

Does it ever for any of them that don't get the answer that they want to hear? It's like banging your head against a brick wall.

Just a month ago we had a flexible hose replaced with copper for a gas hob. It cost £65 and it was done done after we got back from work at 6pm.
View attachment 95526
View attachment 95527

That is nothing to be proud of! You were over charged for crap work.

Fook me. Was it done in the dark as well?

Reminds me of a phrase my dad used to say after I did repairs on my first car. "Fook me, was it painted in the garage by candle light with a brush!"

Thanks for that lovely example of paying peanuts and getting monkeys. Did you see the installer's Gas Safe card?

Probably didn't have time before the horse bolted. OR its a DIY job thinking they were going to get praise for such professional work and we wouldn't tell the difference! My money's on the latter!

Jon

It cost £65 and it was done done after we got back from work at 6pm.

worse type of customer, only wants to pay peanuts for a job and oh it can only be done after 6pm or on a weekend when we are at home :rolleyes:

Again, why all the attacks and **** taking on the customer? Common theme by certain folk on this board?

You dont know he "only wanted to pay peanuts". You've plucked that conclusion out of thin air and all it achieves is makes you look like a bell end.

If the guy phoned a supposed RGI, and that was the end result, its not his fault is it? Your unlikely to phone 4 RGI's to get quotes for such a simple job are you... (and if he did, you'd probably moan that he was taking the **** and wasting their time).

If it was a DIY job, why would he even bother posting it with a price? He clearly posted in good intentions showing some work he'd had done, and because he isnt an RGI was very likely completely unaware that it was a little bit bodged...

Similar thing happened to me, i got a guy in by recommendation who had the appropriate bits of paper (i even checked online to be sure) to run a pipe for a hob, and he installed it, squint, with 3 clips over a 5m run of pipe, then unclipped one end and left it hanging due to not having measured correctly, and hid it behind the dishwasher. When i had the appliances out a few weeks later i realised he was a knob and ended up attaching some more clips myself to secure it properly.

It cost £65 and it was done done after we got back from work at 6pm.

worse type of customer, only wants to pay peanuts for a job and oh it can only be done after 6pm or on a weekend when we are at home :rolleyes:

I didn't just want to pay peanuts, I wanted it done correctly. I phoned a recommended gas safe engineer, he came, did it and charged £65. I wasn't chasing the price down and I didn't get any other quotes. I was just giving the price I paid as a comparison.

Also he was gas safe registered as I checked the gas safe website.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back