Gas Man Says built in hob should not have a flexible hose?

You would know why people take the pizz when they see pics like that if you were in the game yourself. A typical phone call would start something like "How much do you charge to fit a hob". You know immediately that they are just ringing around for the cheapest price with no regard for anything else, and if you say "I'd have to come and have a look to see what's involved" you know you'd be wasting you're time going there to quote. So it gets your goat to see work like that, though tbh we've all seen well worse.
The pipework being a bit pizzed isn't good but doesn't really matter so much in a hidden location, it's the sealant all over the threaded part of the joints which stands out like a sore thumb and screams "idiot".

Sponsored Links
But as we've ascertained, people DO overcharge, after all, the first guy in this post was quoted £380 for the same job.

You've all agreed £380 is a ripoff, but in the same breath dont like customers asking how much something will cost and blame the customer for picking someone cheap? Cant you see the dilemma?

If i get the first bloke that quotes in, i risk getting shafted for £380 for a £100 job. If i phone around asking for prices, i'm wanting the cheapest guy possible with no thought to quality. If i get guys round to quote i'm wasting their time. I do wonder what exactly you expect prospective customers to do?

I would expect prospective customers to ring, explain what they want and ask me to call in and have a look, if they start asking about prices on the phone, I would be wary of wasting my time going to see them. If they tried to pin me down on a price whilst on the phone I would not be interested.

wow, woke up this morning and saw a massive conversation! I've got someone coming in for £100, which I'm happy with as I didn't see any volunteers in the post.

Obviously I have no clue about his handy work, but I'm guessing he'll probably tee of the 15mm pipe and relocate to where the hob is with isolation etc. I can't see that 22mm pipe moving in anyway shape or form without ripping up the kitchen.

As opinions would this be okay or should I suggest otherwise? - Don't want to tell what the guy to do after all - he's meant to be the professional.

As for the quotations I think its OK to call up a few plumbers and get an idea on price. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to budget if no one gave an indicative price. Surely in the building trade quotes are the norm whether that's a call/visit/mail etc - and you'll win some and loose some which is part of the parcel.

£380 I don't know what the guy was thinking, he didn't even bat an eye lid - I have the paperwork to prove it!

Cheers all,
Sparky

Sponsored Links
They all have different views on what's the right way of doing things..They even fight amongst themselves in the combustion chamber as too who has the biggest willy(n):cry:(y). The aftermath often spills over into this forum... :(

Fair enough.

Just had a quotation through from those guys to rub salt into injury. That's £380 exc vat = £456! I'd hate to think what these guys charge for boiler work etc

The guys on his way in the next few hours. I'll report back later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back