Gas Meter Placement "dispute".....Opinions on my decision...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I feel bad about the situation. So I wanted your (yes you people) opinions.

Situation - As with most places at the moment, gas mains and supply lines are being replaced.
This means the Gas Board are digging a hole on the pavement to access the connection0. They then slide the new pipe inside the old pipe (I think). They then (unfortunately) dig a small hole on the driveway where it turns 90s degrees to meet the existing meter. It is a standard 1930s semi street.

History: This is in the gap between two standard semis. So the unconnected neighbour side.

They, in the recent past, built a new side extension up to the boundary and recently had a new tarmac driveway laid. The boundary wall is set-back slightly to take into account of the gutters, as it should be.

Problem: Today, I got a knock from the gas guys after they had done my supply pipe replacement. They informed me that my neighbours wanted to move the gas meter to the side of the extension which is up to the boundary. This would result a full size external box being placed there. This would also mean that the box would stick out over the boundary onto my side a small amount (maybe the minor issue).

The main issue (in my view) is that it would also mean that their gas line (as far as I can see) would potentially have to be laid down my side (through my front garden and compacted earth/stone drive). I assume a trench would have to be dug.

It would also mean that any access to the meter would be required via my property (down my drive and down the path on the side of my house.

This solution was because the neighbours did not want them to dig a hole and patch their new tarmac drive. It was not for any other logistical reason.

The gas people needed my permission to do this however.

Decision: After considering the potential access issue, and possible future access legalities or restrictions to my own extensions, I said no.

I did not see why the inconvenience of a small patch on their drive should result in a much larger and potentially more troublesome future inconvenience to me.

My neighbours while accepting my decision, were visibly annoyed.

Result: I feel a bit crap

Thoughts? Was my decision selfish, pigheaded, unneighbourly? Or was it actually the more straightforward and my neighbour just has to deal their with their small tarmac patch.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I get on well with our neighbours but I'd have done the same. Their gas supply, their problem, not yours. In fact, I wouldn’t want it on my side of the boundary either. Don’t know your existing situation but would it hamper vehicular access or prevent you extending your property either now or in the future?

Given the problems that can arise in the future with access across your land to their meter I would say you did the right thing. Both for you and your neighbours

They may need to have urgent access to the safety shut off valve in the gas meter box. If you ( or the next owners of your house ) intentionally or accidently block that access your neighbours would have an un-controlled gas leak until access was achieved.

Don’t know your existing situation but would it hamper vehicular access or prevent you extending your property either now or in the future?

It would not prevent vehicle access. Potential property extension issues and future access rights were my main concerns. Although I would not plan to build up to the boundary like they have, if I did, or anyone who live here in the future did.....it would become an issue.

I do plan an extension but with a path down the side. The box would eat into the width of the path, although I would need to take into account it would sit partially within their boundary (gutter overhang depth). But it would technically cross the boundary. Aesthetically it would also be a bit of an eyesore which is conveniently out of their way....

@bernardgreen That was also my main concern.

This is a pretty crude picture (thanks google resolution)

2afal38.jpg

The image is at a slight angle, so take that into account.

The red line is the boundary. My side being the property with the car in the drive.
The orange line is their existing supply path under the new drive. The orange dot is the existing meter location in a cupboard.
The blue rectangle is the location they proposed for the box. As you can see it is on the side of the extension right on the boundary. Part on their side (gutter overhang depth) and a bit on mine.

The pink line is where I assume they would have to lay a new line. I was confused as to whether they intended to connect it to their existing (orange line) hence the pink dotted line. But that would have meant digging a hole in the drive anyway. Maybe it was a smaller hole?!?

The green dotted line is where they would have to walk to check the meter.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The way to think about this is: if you were in your neighbours situation, would you even consider the option of routing a gas supply anywhere other than within your own property.

Its wrong that you have been made to feel as though you've been unreasonable, when in fact they are the ones being selfish.

Thanks for the confirmation guys....

I am still confused as to what their actual plan was....

I am not 100% clear that they would have needed to put a new mains down my drive, but I see no other alternative..

Doglegging of their existing mains to a new box would still have required a hole to be dug for the 90 degree left rather then the 90 degree right to the existing location.....the engineer who was there at the time was vague about how they planned to do it.

Interestingly, when I informed the head engineer (I assumed he was the boss), he kind of whispered to me "good decision, it's only because they did not want to dig up the drive and I do not think it was appropriate".

So he seemed to be onside too.....but as with most contractors, they just wanted a decision and to get the job done.

I just needed some more unclouded thoughts....

Relations with these neighbours were a bit strained in the past but had got better......so it just got very awkward again.

Oh well....

Last edited:
I think your bang out of order.

Only joking. I’d have done the same. I would want my neighbours gas to stay exactly where it is.

did your neighbour have any warning if not was he home or does he have the ability to contact you ??

if he can contact you or had a chance he should have asked you first it shows a compete lack off thought even respect
its at least a request at worst a massive favour for which should always be person to person or face to face

Last edited:
The funny thing is, we were discussing the impending pipe work updates in a "putting the bins out" type chat. I actually mentioned that they may need to dig a hole in the driveway as my bother who lives elsewhere had already had theirs done. So they looked at me a bit concerned about the prospect as they had just had the drive tarmaced.

Regarding contacting me first...they were doing all the connections today, and both me and my neighbour were at home for that reason. While we had that earlier chat, I don't think they considered the implications until today and just asked the engineer for alternatives. The engineer wanting to get the job done just gave them one and then [the engineer] came round to ask me if it was OK.

I don't think they came to ask me themselves as to them, it was not a big deal. They genuinely cannot see the issue with the solution and probably think I am making an issue for no reason or trying to be difficult.

While accepting my decision, he did not accept the access legalities as being an issue and seemed to think that smart meters meant we would hardly ever get bothered by meter checking. He accepted but at the same time dismissed my reasoning.

I considered explaining the implications, but decided it was not worth it. One being that if I had built up to the boundary and stuck a box there, it would have caused issues for them doing the same. I am also dammed sure they would not accept it if the situations were reversed.

It is only because, I think, that we have earth and grass on our side of the boundary, so of course, it is far easier to give us the problem as why would/should we care about earth and grass.

Last edited:
When we have had new meters and supplies installed in various properties, both gas and electric, the supplier specifically stated in the t&c's that they will not install a meter or box that can't be accessed solely via the subject property's land or be solely on the subject property's land, and neither will they run supplies across other's land.

You were right. It is not acceptable to expect access over somebody else's land to read a gas meter or run the neighbour's gas supply pipe over your land and I would have thought the gas board should have known that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back