Gas pipe capping off

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are re-decorating the spare room and changing the layout a bit. Got rid of all the unnecessary water pipes under the floorboards and end stopped pipes above floorboards which presumably were for a basin before we got the house.
But having decided to move the bed, we now have a gas pipe which has been capped off above the floorboards in an awkward position. We will have to get a new carpet and don't really want to have a hole cut for an unused pipe. And don't want to leave a pipe to be knocked.
Therfore want to get the capping moved below floorbaord. Looks fairly straightforward, but is it cost effective? And will I get anybody to come out for such a small and seemingly trivial job? As yo can see from the pics it's hardly going to make a Gas Safe man rich, but if it's in 3 figures then I can't see it's worth doing.
004.jpg

007.jpg

Sponsored Links
if its still live and exposed and passes a tightness test you shouldn't be paying over £50 to get sorted. If its already dead expect a bit less.

Wow, very quick reply. Thanks
£50 would certainly be worth it and as your Surrey based as am I I presume that price is abiout right for this area.
I guess i just need to find someone to quote for it.

Sponsored Links
That sounds like your Gas Safe registered and may be interested I'm doing the work. Always happy to support local firms so if you want to point me to your contact then I'll give you a call

Rather oddly he keeps his profile private.

Whilst you dont there is no contact detail there.

But luckily he has left his telephone number for you.

I normally quote £65 over the telephone if they are the typical London distance away. If its an exisiting regular customer about £45 or less or even free if I am already there doing something else.

Tony

just for you Tony, I have made my profile open. There is a contact number and if the gentleman wants to call me I'm sure we can come to some sort of arrangement.

Thats good to see your contact details in the profile. I know that it sometimes gives rise to those unwanted calls from people just wanting advice but it does enable people in your local area to contact you if they need an RGI.

I only charge £84 to diagnose heating faults. More in inner London or outside our local area.

Less for simple gas jobs like cooker hoses and capping off gas pipes and even gas leaks although they can be a bit of a minefield and I ask a lot of questions although most are quite straightforward.

Its intentional not to quote very high prices for simple gas work as I dont like to encourage DIY gas work. Much of this dodgey gas work is only because its perceived that a professional will be expensive.

Tony

to cap of/alter that old supply is basic stuff, the op has done the hard part and exposed the pipe. No doubt there are some totally heartless/ruthless people who would be quite happy at charging an arm & leg to do it, "I'm an RGi so its expensive" type of attitude. Meet them in the merchants, everything is minimum £100+ call out brigade. That is what gives our trade such a bad reputation.

Arguing on this forum don`t help either :LOL: Strange how you don`t get drain cleaning/bog emptying fights - maybe those guys are too busy earning good money - or retired and spending it :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back