Gas pipe extension piece?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have recently levelled our rear garden in preparation for a new extension but have found the existing yellow 25mm gas pipe cuts
across the new foundations.(As yet un-dug)
I would like to have an extension piece of around 6 metres put in so
I can alter the course of the pipe run so its not in anyones way.
All trenches are dug, all yellow plastic hollow pipes are laid (75mm)
in position.
All that needs doing is the existing pipe to be cut and the extention piece
connecting up.Max 1 or 2 hrs work imho.
Phoned Nation Grid and was quoted £450 and 6 weeks wait.
Have they got a monopoly on this or can someone else do the work?

Thanks in anticipation!!

Sponsored Links
If your really lucky and see a NG team working and ask them really nicely or better still get the good looking wife/daughter to ask they may do it on the side for a couple of hundred or less, failing that you have to go through the company and wait and it will prob be longer than 6 weeks so don`t plan anything around that time quoted.

You haven't made it clear if this is before or after the gas meter, but even if before I understood that this sort of work had been opened up to competition (to companies that have the appropriate competencies). Why not ask Nat Grid or Ofgas?

Sponsored Links
This is before the gas meter ie owned by National Grid (Transco).

I too thought others could quote for this type of work.

I've seem Murphys vans before working on yellow gas pipe but didn't know whether they were contracting on behalf of Nat Grid.

Any new/self builds use anyone else?

You used to pay different amounts according to the amount of work involved, length of pipe,digging reqd and type of surface to be dug.
This charge is scandalous!!

Murphys sub-contract to the national gas transporter.

As has been said the NGT are the only people who can work on this pipe.

This charge is scandalous!!

It's called a legal monopoly.

They probably work on a mark up of 100%.

To cover invoicing Murphy might have a minimum charge of £225.

If you see the lads working nearby ( thats within 1 mile ) then they will probably sort it out for £100 in cash.

Be aware they will not be insured or CORGI registered when working on the side for you.

Why is this new section of pipe 75 mm to extend a 25 mm pipe? Did you find it in a coil on the side of the road where they were upgrading the gas mains???

No the 75mm is a coiled perforated ducting pipe that the 25mm pipe is pulled through (Like a conduit).
I even have my own 25mm pipe inside the conduit but have been told they (Nat Grid) will not connect me pipe but will bring their own.

You may find thay will not put a gas pipe through a perforated duct pipe either !!!

Unless you pay them extra that is.

I hope this new gas pipe is to bypass your extension footprint!

Tony

Tony,

The yellow duct pipe is the pukka pipe for the job.Usually you have a 10mm rope in centre to pull new 25mm gas pipe through but i put my own 25mm pipe in instead of rope.

Yes it is just to move it round the extension footprint.

Steve

Ignore the Corgi registered bit as that doesn`t come into service pipework

Dont the Murphy people have to be registered with CORGI and have some ACS element to fit a service pipe?

Could I do it for him then?

I seem to remember some ACS element to fusion weld plastic gas pipe???

Tony

I just had my gas meter changed to a semi-concealed. Previous posts regarding National Grid doing the service pipe work are also as i understand them. License to print money. The Grid's contractor was embarassed for the amount of work that he did.

I also had to get my supplier to come on the same day with the new gas meter AND get a CORGI plumber to do the house connection. Lucky for me they all arrived when they said they would and the job went fine apart from a major leak on the Transco side from a badly sealed joint (yes even they can get it wrong!).

So for moving the meter less than 300mm and fitting 2 metres of yellow pipe i was charged £500 by the Grid and £45 for the connection.

Incidentally £500 is their BASE PRICE!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back