Gas pipe or water pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone
We are currently renovating an old cottage and I have come across a pipe that partially sticks out of the wall. I am confident working with water pipes and was hoping to cut it back and cap it off before we plaster and put the skirting boards on. However it has occurred to me that it could be a gas pipe.
The flooring is old chipboard that has been interlocked so tracing the pipe is not possible.
Any ideas whether it is water or gas.
Thanks in advance
Screenshot_20211030-092932_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211030-092947_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211030-093001_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored Links
to trace the pipe why not go under the floor if theres space. or if you are into renovating then learn to lift tandg floorboards and sheets - remove any fixings and begin to pry up from the edge of the board near the wall.Do it slowly and keep removing screws or nails if they pop up.
But first isolate gas and water while you are working.

Sponsored Links
That elbow that’s connected to the bleed nipple does look like a gas type one though. As per Muggles, though we can’t tell just by looking at the pipe.

Make sure you know where the gas shut off (ecv) and water shut off (stopcock) is before doing this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back