Gas pipe through wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gas meter is fitted with a recessed meter box. The 22mm copper gas pipe passes through the cavity wall from the back of the meter box and is inside a plastic spigot. The spigot is sealed with some grey mastic stuff inside the meter box but there is no mastic on the inside wall where the pipe enters the property.

Should the entry hole inside the house be sealed with mastic too? Or left open like it is now.....

Gas fitter had to dash off all of a sudden and I'm just making sure this is right..

Sponsored Links
Correct. Pipe should be sleeved and sealed at one end only usually with FJC compound a grey flexible putty like material(y)

My gas meter is fitted with a recessed meter box. The 22mm copper gas pipe passes through the cavity wall from the back of the meter box and is inside a plastic spigot. The spigot is sealed with some grey mastic stuff inside the meter box but there is no mastic on the inside wall where the pipe enters the property
No that is wrong, it should be sealed where the spigot is inside the property, to allow any escape of gas to exit via the outside unsealed spigot in the meter box and vent to atmosphere

Sponsored Links
I rang him this evening and he said its so any gas leak won't fill the cavity wall. Not sure what to do now.
Simples , call gas safe and ask them , that is why we pay them after all, think logically, yes the spigot sleeve is to protect the within gas pipe from allowing leaks into the cavity, so we seal it on the inside so any leak on the pipe going through the cavity has to go somewhere, you want it to leak to the meter box rather than inside your house

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
For a built in meter enclosure it's seal the sleeve both ends, (fixed inside the box) and seal the pipe inside the enclosure.

Although I would suspect it's more to do with the gas reaching LEL if there is an escape in the box...

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back