Gas replacement?

Sponsored Links
Gas heating systems are being banned for new builds in the near future.

This has opened up the flood gates for "green energy" companies to tempt the public into buying electric heating systems and some of these are of dubious quality, efficiency and reliability.

It's all very dubious....that company appeared to start off making a mini battery powered cylindrical microwave oven a few years ago.
I think the idea came from the banning of open flames in some US parks. Anyway it's no longer in production.
The breakthrough was not having to use traditional magnetrons...small semiconductors are now available albeit very expensive.
It's still in prototype stage from what I could see and it will be a very expensive way to heat water compared to an element.

The only conceivable advantage to using microwave energy to heat water over a traditional element might be the reduction in scale.
But why would you want a wet heating system when pure electric heating is so much simpler and easy to maintain.

Once Boris gets bored of Carrie we'll start getting some sensible green proposals back on the table...we'll have gas for a very long time.

It's all very dubious....that company appeared to start off making a mini battery powered cylindrical microwave oven a few years ago.
I think the idea came from the banning of open flames in some US parks. Anyway it's no longer in production.
The breakthrough was not having to use traditional magnetrons...small semiconductors are now available albeit very expensive.
It's still in prototype stage from what I could see and it will be a very expensive way to heat water compared to an element.

The only conceivable advantage to using microwave energy to heat water over a traditional element might be the reduction in scale.
But why would you want a wet heating system when pure electric heating is so much simpler and easy to maintain.

Once Boris gets bored of Carrie we'll start getting some sensible green proposals back on the table...we'll have gas for a very long time.
Yes, it's the microwave part that's dubious. I hope they don't mean to microwave the inhabitants! If we must have electric heating as part of the carbon reduction target it might as well be by conventional resistive heaters. Or if replacing a gas boiler, probably easier and cheaper to use an electric one and keep the rads.
But it all seems a bit crazy if other countries, notably China, aren't taking similar steps.

Sponsored Links
It won't happen...the country is bankcrupt in all but name an the idea that we can afford to tear up the gas infrastructure in order to make any significant difference to the Worlds CO2 is nonsense.
In 2005 we went down the route of condensing boilers..it's made a fraction of a % difference to the Worlds CO2 emissions...China is the the largest boiler market and they don't still have condensing boilers.

49477323058_02e8ec3d0a_o.png

50729806927_5c4e5c2b42_o.png

Any 'wet' system is never going to be "virtually maintenance free", and if you look at your Smart Meter as the microwave is on, you'll see how much power it uses. You can imagine how much would be needed to heat up a 280 litre kettle. I can't see that you'd run that off a 16 amp main. And another thing, how many domestic boilers cost £3,200? Even B.G.'s price before does not come to that, and that includes fitting.

the idea that we can afford to tear up the gas infrastructure in order to make any significant difference to the Worlds CO2 is nonsense.
Quite agree, but I'm not sure the idiots in charge won't try to force it through anyway. As well as no ICE-engined cars after 2030, or something.
Great pics you posted

Hmm. Instant hot water from microwaves or resistors is still going to need 30+ kw to heat a reasonable flow. Not got room in my CU for a 120A breaker....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back