Gas Safe- for kitchen fitters.

actualy in this case it is as he working on the property and charging for his services so yes he being paid and so are you so you are breaking the law

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I appreciate everyones input. I've learned something important today. i.e. don't be tempted to play with gas . It's also inspired me to make an effort and learn more. cheers all.

I do my own wet plumbing, but leave gas well alone. Luckily, a plumber mate is gassafe registered and can usually come round to connect gas hobs, the same day (with a bit of notice) I usually phone him at least 2 weeks before and give him a rough idea of the day I will need him, or arrange the job around his workload. Longest I've had to wait on him was one day, to connect a gas hob up. If it's just moving a gas pipe I organise this with him in advance of the kitchen fit. This works fairly well for me and my mate.
TBH, how many fitting kitchens can get any plumber at very short notice?. Try and get one at a day's notice is nigh on impossible. That's why I prefer to at least do my own wet plumbing. ;) ;)

I operate in a simular way to you joinerjohn. tho you seem to be a bit better organised than me.

Thanks for the replies fellas, I feared that would be the answer. I just hoped there would be an alternative ,to phoning up a plumber who breezes in two days later , does something that I could have done in 2 minutes, and then relieves me of a big wad of cash.
Maybe find a better one?

I think the most important thing in a kitchen fit (in an existing property that's lived in) is to at least get the base units and worktop with sink in and working in one day. (even if the sink is only temporary) I always try to do this, although sometimes it's been very difficult to achieve. The few times I haven't been able to leave them a sink, they have at least had the water back on overnight.
Iaith, just out of interest , how much do you pay a plumber to connect a gas hob? (assuming all the pipework is already in place) ;) ;)

I think the most important thing in a kitchen fit (in an existing property that's lived in) is to at least get the base units and worktop with sink in and working in one day. (even if the sink is only temporary) I always try to do this, although sometimes it's been very difficult to achieve. The few times I haven't been able to leave them a sink, they have at least had the water back on overnight.
Iaith, just out of interest , how much do you pay a plumber to connect a gas hob? (assuming all the pipework is already in place) ;) ;)

dont do many homers now, but i used to fit kitchens every weekend with my 2 mates, one worked in FMI (or something similar) and sold the kitchens, he was obliged to quote for the in house team to fit but they were very expensive, so he gave them his brothers card, he is a joiner, and the 3 of us fitted every weekend, i used to strip out on a friday night and alter all the plumbing, i would then connect up a temp sink using washing machine hoses connected to the new supplies, had a temp flexible waste so a 15 min job to rig it up temp so that they had hot and cold over night on day 1 and 2 if a big job, the joiner could disconnect easy if/when it was in his way without interupting the rest of the house as i fitted iso valves on the new sink supplies, i either connected it to the new sink position or to the new washing machine position whatever was easier for me, well worth considering setting up a temp sink as the punters appreciate having water in the kitchen

To be honest joinerjohn I've only fitted kitchens for one management company, I phone the local plumbing company they do the work then invoice the management company directly.

brush up on the regs by purchasing the gas regs from the bpec site,available to anyone with a credit or debit card :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back