Gas safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I just wondered if there were any other recognised schemes that would allow you to be legit with gas, apart fron being a gas safe registered. After all to be part P compliant as an electrician there are several choices, so why the monopoly with gas?

Sponsored Links
Heh Heh Heh.

You can recruit for the hitler youth on here but don't question the divine right of certain people to fix yer gas boiler :)

Well, one reason...if you butcher somebodies electrics you can kill usually one person.
With gas you can blow up half the street.
Besides where does it stop?
Should people be part P registered to change a plug.

sooey why would having a choice of 2 or 3 bodies to register with as a gas fitter increase dangerous situations ?.
Tonym no its a monoploy on mainland and we must join gas safe

Sponsored Links
sooey why would having a choice of 2 or 3 bodies to register with as a gas fitter increase dangerous situations ?.
Tonym no its a monoploy on mainland and we must join gas safe

namsag, having one central body must be a lot better than having two or three.
It's bad enough trying to see off the cowboys as things are, it could only be worse the more 'registration bodies' you introduce.

Hi
I just wondered if there were any other recognised schemes that would allow you to be legit with gas, apart fron being a gas safe registered. After all to be part P compliant as an electrician there are several choices, so why the monopoly with gas?

Even if there were other schemes apart from gas safe, they'd still have to comply with the regs so you'd still need to qualify to the same standard.
Unless you mean, is it possible to just qualify to do certain things on gas without being qualified to do everything (as in part P with electrics).
The answer to that is yes, though you would always need the core gas safety one, you can then have different qualifications according to what you need to work on, Fires, cookers, boilers etc.
Some people on here have so many qualifications in gas that they probably need an A4 sized gas safe card to list them all on.

If you are talking about the feller who came out to his house and said this

1) Create a new direct feed from the mains to the cylinder, and then put a mains balancing valve (i think this is what he called it) to supply hot and cold. I've been told this is the best way to equalize pressure/flow when multiple outlets are open.

I see nothing wrong with it, I think gasguru or the op has got the wrong end of the stick.

The cylinder would work better with it's own dedicated feed, which must then have the supplied pressure reducing valve fitted before the cylinder.
Then you would supply any mixer showers with cold taken from the cylinder feed after the prv to give a balanced hot and cold.
That's perfectly normal and what I think the feller in option 1 was suggesting.

Hey right this moment-- Winter watch on TV 1963.

Good job they didn't have condenser boilers then huh ?.

I remember the winter of 1962-63 well. We had coal fires and an open-flame gas water heater in the bathroom. Paraffin heaters were used in the bedrooms to prevent ice forming on the beds. The inside of the windows were always iced over in the mornings! IIRC here in the south west, it started snowing on Boxing Day, and up on the hills there was still snow on the ground at Easter, around April 12th! The school I attended remained open throughout, even though temperatures were rarely above freezing for weeks on end.

Nothing to do with qualifications - but the daft thing is Gas Safe are the only body to control gas - they could charge what they want - but charge 175 PA

the Sparky bodies who do only the same as gas safe but have to compete against each other all charge £400PA?

This is the problem when you let anyone take the Acs courses. I've been a plumber for 45 years and ever since 1990 its been a sham. Gas installations like water installations can be very easy or very complex. Its not our fault that this registration scheme was put in place and that every one thinks that they are engineers. We are no different than any other trade, not every one is a rip off merchant

carry on with your encouragement Joe.

hopefully some DIY weekend warrior within 200m of your house will do summat stupid and do us all a favour and wipe you out :LOL:

getting a dodgy DIY spark to take you out would take some really good luck. more chance of winning the lottery :rolleyes:

Gas safes great ....cartel..... monopoly whatever its a license to print money

all my invoices have LATWTTB along the bottom and no one ever asks why.

And if anyone tries to get in on the act without joining the club jail or a fine

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back