gas supply to combi

shaggy said:
cheerlead1.gif
fencing.gif
cheerlead1.gif

I won't ask where you got these smileys from :cry:

Sponsored Links
interesting chat chaps.

Seems we all forgot how to calculate the gas rates and pipe sizing,Its not guess work.

doitall

Gentlemen, may i remind you this is a friendly forum. :)
Arguing between yourselves does not do any of you or the forum any good

Sponsored Links
great thread!..........but was that half inch or 22mm? ;)

MOderator - Then mistakes must be let go because it isn't comfortable for you?

Doitall
"Seems we all forgot how to calculate the gas rates and pipe sizing,Its not guess work.
"
But if the old boiler's dead and the pipe's hidden?? :rolleyes:

ChrisR said:
MOderator - Then mistakes must be let go because it isn't comfortable for you?

Doitall
"Seems we all forgot how to calculate the gas rates and pipe sizing,Its not guess work.
"
But if the old boiler's dead and the pipe's hidden?? :rolleyes:

You know the answer to that Chris.

Standing pressure you can check anyway, for the burner pressure to be as per the manufactures appliance requirements, you need to check the volume available, this can be done by passing gas to atmosphere, preferably with a purge meter and a flame arrestor, but a hose would do if desperate and precautions were met to avoid ignition, time how much is used over 2 mins by recording the meter reading, and you should be able to tell if the pipe will supply the correct volume for that appliance as well as any other appliances that are connected.

The engineer after working on a gas installation is responsible for the whole installation, he would check soundness and condition of pipework before starting, where the pipework is not visible he should issue a notice to the client or responsible person that the pipe may need renewing or upgrading, remember not to current standards have to be upgraded to comply with the regs, that may require renewing the whole gas line.

moderator said:
Gentlemen, may i remind you this is a friendly forum. :)
Arguing between yourselves does not do any of you or the forum any good

Mr Moderator,

I agree with Chris on this, when arguing/discussing regs they can be interpretated in many ways, experience tells you that my way is not always the best, but in my mind its the correct way.

If anyone disagrees then thats also good because we can all learn from it.

personal insults I agree should be left out but other than that, a healthy chat is good.

he is right you know, we are bound to fall out now and again, Its all fun

doitall you couldn't just use a hose and measure how much gas would come out because it wouldn't be at any partcular pressure. It doesn't sound like you've tried it -??
You'd need a restrictor at the boiler position to regulate the flow such that you had a 1mbar pressure drop in the supply pipe, then measure the flow at the fixed meter. (Why use a purge meter?). I've often wondered about those dirty great burners BES do, just for testing.

Yes you could measure standing pressure, but it doesn't tell you anything useful that the working pressure at the meter doesn't, surely?

Chris, very quickly i have to go go london.

Given the output in KW of the boiler its easy to reverse calculate the gas consumption in volume.

A hose on the gas pipe near the boiler position would give you the max flow rate available, the use of a purge stack makes testin safer and a requirement when pruging with nitrogen or air to gas as volumes and purge times are calculated.

more later when i get more time.

Previous comments still apply. "Max flow rate available" doesn't mean a lot, you need the flow for the crucial 1mbar drop in the pipe.
In Domestic we don't use purge meters, nitrogen...

I've thought about using air from a fan/vac, through a spare meter/regulator at the meter end of the pipe, then a spare (knobbled) gas MF valve with an injector fixed on it at the other end. It's one of those "could be useful" things I've never gotten round to.

Man, did this thread grow!
Good news, brand new 22mm is now supplying my combi...the mess is nearly over. All working like a charm, except the one annoying thing, a humming FAN. Its not very obvious, but I keep homing on it, I don't like it. I should have gone for a straight combi, not condense, no instant, no b******s...
Anyway, thanks for all your feedback !!!

chris i think he means a purge meter is a different design and is made for passing large volumes / accurately
on commercial you need to purge a calced volume in a set time

Actually kevplumb a purge meter is the same as any other meter.

If you measure the available volume from the end of your existing service pipe, as i said though a meter would be safer etc, then you can calculate A, the rough pipe size over a know distance, and B, if it will meet the required input.

A quick for example 0.85 m3/hr = 28KW of the top of me head that so give a tad either way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back