Gate not in line with fence post.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved to a new property and want to install a new latch and bolt to the back garden gate however the fence post is not in line with gate (see pictures). The solution the previous owners came up with is inadequate. I am unable to move the fence post as it used for the gate of the neighbour.

Can any DIY geniuses think of a solution to this problem?
IMG_0356-min.jpg

Sponsored Links
stand back and take some wider pics so we can see what's going on.

I expect the gate is wider than the path.

Here you are.

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0357 (1).jpg
    IMG_0357 (1).jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 351
Sponsored Links
Here you are.

OK, so the wall and the fence are not parallel, therefore it is impossible for the gate to be perpendicular to both at the same time. You could, if you wished, reposition it so it one perpendicular to one or the other.

Good idea about an arris rail, maybe with a bit of sawing or planing to get the angle right.

Is a latch enough, or do you want to be able to lock or bolt the gate?

The gate appears to be of fence-like construction and will sag. Add one or more diagonals; high at the hinge side and low at the lock side, fastened with through bolts to the frame. Wedge up the lock side first so the brace will be in tension when you remove the wedge.

You basically need to fix something to the fence post which is parallel to the gate to allow a normal latch/striker to be affixed.

Can you trim the corner of the post parallel to the gate then fix appropriately sized timber to allow a latch to be screwed on? Alternatively 'carve' said piece of timber to suit the irregular shape of the post.

Arris rail looks like a winner though!

Bend over the end of the latch so it meets parallel to the fence post, attach the catch as appropriate. This will only work providing the latch is long enough - if it's not...

Or replace with it a long deadbolt instead

Nozzle

OK, so the wall and the fence are not parallel, therefore it is impossible for the gate to be perpendicular to both at the same time. You could, if you wished, reposition it so it one perpendicular to one or the other.

Good idea about an arris rail, maybe with a bit of sawing or planing to get the angle right.

Is a latch enough, or do you want to be able to lock or bolt the gate?

The gate appears to be of fence-like construction and will sag. Add one or more diagonals; high at the hinge side and low at the lock side, fastened with through bolts to the frame. Wedge up the lock side first so the brace will be in tension when you remove the wedge.

It's actually the opposite way. Low at the hinge side and high at the lock side.

Thanks for your suggestions all. Much appreciated. I'm going to purchase a length of arris rail tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back