Get Back Money That You Are Owed

Sponsored Links
I keep monthly electricity and gas meter readings in a spreadsheet - calcs of usage / cost, with running totals.
I notice that generally they, the supplier, will impose / suggest a change to my dd following a meter read. Usually my suppliers have been quite willing to adjust my direct debit (dd) to my specification.

Possibly the best method for accuracy would be to give meter readings on a monthly basis paying precisely for power used.
-0-

So basically what they are saying is switching ain't as efficient as the advisory bod's are making out.

I just stick with my one supplier and reap the loyalty benefits to boot. Jumping through hoops to save measly amounts has never appealed to me.

nose - your model is not the norm.

Often the suppliers do not reward loyalty and new customers get offered incentives to move.

You don't have to jump through hoops to save either. Just go to uswitch, enter a few usage details and they will offer a tariff with a saving.

Sponsored Links
Although the energy suppliers like to give the impression that they are entitled to set the monthly payments to any figure they want, even when this results in you giving them an interest-free loan, I understand that in fact they do not have this right, and you can refuse to accept their proposal. I now counter with a curt email saying what the monthly payment should be, and I find they agree (until the next bill, when they try it on again). I found BG were the worst.

I also maintain accurate monthly readings and the 12-month rolling usage.

I had problems when I moved from Scottish Power earlier this year. I think I may have posted details on here before.
They completely ignored my requests until I wrote to Ofgem. Then things began to happen!
A good thing that we have these authorities, but a shame that we need them.

Although the energy suppliers like to give the impression that they are entitled to set the monthly payments to any figure they want, even when this results in you giving them an interest-free loan, I understand that in fact they do not have this right, and you can refuse to accept their proposal. I now counter with a curt email saying what the monthly payment should be, and I find they agree (until the next bill, when they try it on again). I found BG were the worst.

I also maintain accurate monthly readings and the 12-month rolling usage.

A number of years ago BG said my DD was being increased from £55 to £66 per month. Their excuse when asked why was because prices were due to rise in the next quarter. When I pointed out they had actually just declared a massive profit for the previous year and as a result were decreasing costs they blabbed a bit and then said as a courtesy gesture they COULD lower my DD to £50 a month!
Eventually they accepted my offer of £45 a month and without any cutting back I was still way ahead in credit at the end of the winter session.

i read my meters every week and on the 21st reset the reading on the 21st so week week week week and the few days to 21
i aim for zero balance august and zero balance February
make sure your monthly reading is around 5 days after your payment date so the system thinks your in better shape
do not stick with your provider without doing a thorough check
remember all providers have a very expensive "default tariff "up to 40%more that you drop onto after your deal ends
so the 25% saving on the new deal can still be a large increase

and most off all ask for the excess balance in your account when you swap

as an aside
money saving expert share there commission pretty much 50% 50%they get between £50-£100 for every switch and they give some back

A friend of mine was with Eon. He pays a set amount by direct debit each month. Last month he got his gas and electricity bill which clearly stated he was in credit by almost £600. Yet they told him they were increasing his direct debit from £37 a month to £55 per month. He's now switched supplier and has claimed all the money in credit back.

A friend of mine was with Eon. He pays a set amount by direct debit each month. Last month he got his gas and electricity bill which clearly stated he was in credit by almost £600. Yet they told him they were increasing his direct debit from £37 a month to £55 per month. He's now switched supplier and has claimed all the money in credit back.

this usually happens when they havent had a reading for a while
the typical action is an increase off 25- 35% every six months until you complain and give them a reading

Sponsored Links
Back