Getting the Brexit message across to Britain's Political Parties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strawman argument.

I'm afraid it's not.

strawman
You misrepresented someone's argument to make it easier to attack.
By exaggerating, misrepresenting, or just completely fabricating someone's argument, it's much easier to present your own position as being reasonable, but this kind of dishonesty serves to undermine honest rational debate.

Example: After Will said that we should put more money into health and education, Warren responded by saying that he was surprised that Will hates our country so much that he wants to leave it defenceless by cutting military spending.

The two are not the same. Implying I personally had direct influence or control over that slogan is infact strawman argument.

It is more than malicious gossip, it is a demonstration of their xenophobic attitude.
One of them will be along any minute to deny they are xenophobic. :rolleyes:

How many quitters, and how many times have they told us that Angel Merkel is running the EU?
It is xenophobic hysteria, just because she is not British.
The fact that she is the most important female leader in the world, the enormous success of German industry (which the quitters also keep reminding us of), the longest serving leader in the EU member nations, leader of the powerhouse of the EU and Europe.
But, hey she is foreign, so we must be scared of her! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Your xenophobic nonsense (not to mention your outright lies) might work with those who are already xenophobic, but it does not work with remainers.

Appeal to emotion.
You attempted to manipulate an emotional response in place of a valid or compelling argument.
Appeals to emotion include appeals to fear, envy, hatred, pity, pride, and more. It's important to note that sometimes a logically coherent argument may inspire emotion or have an emotional aspect, but the problem and fallacy occurs when emotion is used instead of a logical argument, or to obscure the fact that no compelling rational reason exists for one's position. Everyone, bar sociopaths, is affected by emotion, and so appeals to emotion are a very common and effective argument tactic, but they're ultimately flawed, dishonest, and tend to make one's opponents justifiably emotional.

Example: Luke didn't want to eat his sheep's brains with chopped liver and brussel sprouts, but his father told him to think about the poor, starving children in a third world country who weren't fortunate enough to have any food at all.

ad hominem
You attacked your opponent's character or personal traits in an attempt to undermine their argument.
Ad hominem attacks can take the form of overtly attacking somebody, or more subtly casting doubt on their character or personal attributes as a way to discredit their argument. The result of an ad hom attack can be to undermine someone's case without actually having to engage with it.

Example: After Sally presents an eloquent and compelling case for a more equitable taxation system, Sam asks the audience whether we should believe anything from a woman who isn't married, was once arrested, and smells a bit weird.

Sponsored Links
It is more than malicious gossip, it is a demonstration of their xenophobic attitude.
I dont see any xenophobic attitude..........perhaps you would be kind enough to point it out.

It is xenophobic hysteria, just because she is not British
How do arrive at that conclusion? Please point out what has been said that gives that inference.

But, hey she is foreign, so we must be scared of her!
I can see nothing that gives that impression, please highlight what you have based that on.

Your xenophobic nonsense
What xenophobic nonsense? You have just made that up

I dont see any xenophobic attitude..........perhaps you would be kind enough to point it out.

How do arrive at that conclusion? Please point out what has been said that gives that inference.

I can see nothing that gives that impression, please highlight what you have based that on.

What xenophobic nonsense? You have just made that up

The goal is to repeat the word xenophobic as if it holds weight. It's an appeal to emotion fallacy by compelling anyone to be fearful of being called xenophobic or racist rather than substantiate an argument.

What I said about Merkel was hyperbolic and I thought that may have been apparent, yet she does seem interested in controlling finances when her opponents pose a threat to her.

https://www.politico.eu/article/ger...nistry-powers-if-liberals-get-control-report/

Sponsored Links
A**e end's typical constructive contributions to the discussion.
And this is just his last three posts, about 8.50pm to 10.50pm last night. :rolleyes:
We can guess why. :ROFLMAO:

Transam makes a fair point, JohnD does seem to be prejudiced against the elderly.

I would suggest that is entirely constructive. (y)

however your posting a sarcastic response, now that is non constructive :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
My comment is taken with a degree of credibility, it must be, because I have been asked to explain.
Whereas sammy's comment:
It's still going into Merkels back pocket until we leave.
Is so utterly ridiculous no-one thinks it is credible, or even possible.

It is like being at a brain storming session, and the rules are nothing is to be criticised.
But sammy's comment would have everybody looking at him and laughing!
The facilitator would say something like, "don't forget the rules, nothing is to be criticised, no matter how silly." Then he does not put that comment on the whiteboard!

There are other comments similar to sammy's:
I'm looking forward to being rid of Merkel .
I may address then all later, as a narrative of a pattern of behaviour.

Is so utterly ridiculous no-one thinks it is credible, or even possible.

What I said about Merkel was hyperbolic and I thought that may have been apparent

Trouble is however, just moving around calling people xenophobic and commenting on the 'credibility' of everyone else while determining (more often than not, incorrectly) who may be guilty of commuting a fallacy, all while completely avoiding contributing anything at all of interest, makes you look just as silly as anyone else.

all while completely avoiding contributing anything at all of interest, makes you look just as silly as anyone else.

oh, you mean like an idiot who claims that EU contributions go into the pocket of one of the national leaders.

Got you.

Silly Sammy.

The British government has not wanted to abdicate control of its own interest rate policy, which would occur under the euro system.

Read more: Why the British government has not wanted to abdicate control of its own interest rate policy, which would occur under the euro system.

Read more: Why doesn't England use the
euro.
Why would it be a good idea for EU to set UK interest rate for fooks sake

I didn't realise we were in the Euro system.

I didn't think we wanted the EU to set interest rates for us.

What do you know differently ?

I did not realise my post would cause 6 pages of "debate"

For those at or near the Base of the socioeconomic pyramid, just a glimpse of how the Greek and the Catallan people were treated by the unelected EU leaders was enough to cause us to vote to leave.

A lot of us may be uneducated (not thin) and unworldly. But we have enough grey cells to know we can get rid of the Political Elite by using our vote if we are out of the clutches of the EU.

The remainer's had a 9 million pounds leg up from Cameron but even then did not win.

Tim

Last edited:
A lot of us may be uneducated (not thin) and unworldly. But we have enough grey cells to know we can get rid of the Political Elite by using our vote if we are out of the clutches of the EU.

The remainer's had a 9 million pounds leg up from Cameron but even then did not
Utter cobblers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back