GHIC card.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got mine today. Love the design and the hologram!

0F2223A9-5A9B-45AC-9D66-BB6FA948EE0F.jpeg

As per the old EHIC, it’s next to useless and you cant beat proper travel insurance. If it gets as much use as the old EHIC, it’ll still come in very handy though - for when I leave the hotel room or cabin and need to take my key card but still want the electrics on to charge up the iPads. :LOL:

Now, 'who' was it on 'here' that 'kept' banging on about us all 'losing' our EHICs when we 'left' the EU? Oh, yeah, Lally and 'part' of their 'project fear' wasn’t it? Looks like they 'were' wrong 'as usual'!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There is no difference between a EHIC card and GHIC card.
The EHIC card covers all the same kind of treatment that it used to cover in the EU, prior to Brexit. It also covered you for some other countries with which UK had agreements.
A GHIC card only covers you for newly negotiated fees and has only been introduced since Brexit. It will cover you for treatment in the same countries as the EHIC card.
It's been given another name because it is hoped that the UK can negotiate agreements with other countries. In which case holders of EHIC cards can apply for a GHIC card. So it's just a gimmick really. And the EHIC card would have sufficed.

The only minor difference is the EHIC card will allow a UK person to access health care in the same way as an indigenous person in that country.
The GHIC card does not provide that and only covers what has been agreed between UK and those countries. I believe it is not an automatic right for all EU countries and individual agreements have to be made with individual EU countries. I assume some sort of rollover was agreed.

Now, 'who' was it on 'here' that 'kept' banging on about us all 'losing' our EHICs when we 'left' the EU? Oh, yeah, Lally and 'part' of their 'project fear' wasn’t it? Looks like they 'were' wrong 'as usual'!
And the stalker who loves to rename posters is back...

I thought you were ignoring me :rolleyes:

Of course in your ignorance you wouldn't have noticed the difference in health cover whilst in the EU...

And given your enthusiasm to get everyone to reveal personal details, why have you 'redacted' certain identifiers on your card Steven?

I got mine today. Love the design and the hologram!

View attachment 236034

As per the old EHIC, it’s next to useless and you cant beat proper travel insurance. If it gets as much use as the old EHIC, it’ll still come in very handy though - for when I leave the hotel room or cabin and need to take my key card but still want the electrics on to charge up the iPads. :LOL:

they are rarely right about any thing ever :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
There is no difference between a EHIC card and GHIC card.
Wrong

Which you have confirmed yourself...
The only minor difference is the EHIC card will allow a UK person to access health care in the same way as an indigenous person in that country.
The GHIC card does not provide that and only covers what has been agreed between UK and those countries. I believe it is not an automatic right for all EU countries and individual agreements have to be made with individual EU countries. I assume some sort of rollover was agreed.
That's not a 'minor difference'...

Care to tell us which individual EU countries have so far agreed to these 'automatic rights'?

The 'rollover' was the agreement that current EHIC cards would remain in force until they expired...

Some intelligent people renewed their EHIC ones just before brexit...

Other not so intelligent people believe their GHIC card gives them the same medical cover...

But then they also believe in unicorns :LOL:

There is only a difference if you aren't a UK national living in the UK.

There is only a difference if you aren't a UK national living in the UK.
Nope...

UK nationals have to apply to each and every EU/EEA country they are in...

Plus for EU/EEA nationals living in the UK the rules have completely changed for family members...

Good luck trying to care for elderly/sick relatives if you happen to be in a dual national relationship...

But then xenophobic brexiteers didn't care about that! (n)

UK nationals have to apply to each and every EU/EEA country they are in...
UK nationals only need to hold a EHIC or a GHIC card. The governments negotiate the agreements. There's no need for individuals to do that.
If UK nationals are resident and tax paying in a EU country, they should be applying for an EHIC card from their adopted country to cover them in UK.

Plus for EU/EEA nationals living in the UK the rules have completely changed for family members...
Family members can apply for a EHIC card from their own country, or wherever they are registered as resident or tax paying. If under a certain age, they'll be relying on their parents registration/tax.

Good luck trying to care for elderly/sick relatives if you happen to be in a dual national relationship...
It's less about nationality, and more about your residence and tax registration. You can't have dual tax registration, as an individual.

Edit: Residency and tax registration are not the same, in France.
Second home owners in France can hold a Residency Permit (Carte de Sejour), but still be tax registered in UK.

Last edited:
Some intelligent people renewed their EHIC ones just before brexit...
The recently renewed EHIC card expires in 2025. But one can apply for a GHIC card to replace it before then, or to run concurrently, however the system works, or will work.
I'm not sure if the recently renewed EHIC card has to be surrendered if/when applying for a GHIC card.

@Mottie you do realise that card is useless?

You have blanked out vital information and now they will not be able to confirm it's you. :whistle: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

UK nationals only need to hold a EHIC or a GHIC card. The governments negotiate the agreements. There's no need for individuals to do that.
But individual EU countries can apply the 'rules' differently. Thus individuals have to be aware of that.
Funny how brexiteers believed otherwise :rolleyes:

Family members can apply for a EHIC card from their own country, or wherever they are registered as resident or tax paying. If under a certain age, they'll be relying on their parents registration/tax.
They can apply, but as above with different rules and time limitations.

And dual nationality comes with additional health insurance issues.
For example it is now difficult/impossible to get 'repatriation' cover back to the UK if you travel to the country of your second nationality, and vice versa...

But individual EU countries can apply the 'rules' differently. Thus individuals have to be aware of that.
I'm not convinced on that. Was it a EU wide card, or a European wide card?
The difference is important. One would be an EU arrangement, the other would be or individual countries.

They can apply, but as above with different rules and time limitations.
Same as new ex-pats, they have less benefits attached to their EHIC/GHIC cards.

And dual nationality comes with additional health insurance issues.
For example it is now difficult/impossible to get 'repatriation' cover back to the UK if you travel to the country of your second nationality, and vice versa...
Hmmm, that's logical, I suppose.
But I would have thought it depends on your country of medical registration and tax registration.

There has never been an EU wide standard national healthcare system. Each member state has its own system. The EHIC only ever granted you the same rights as a resident. The new system is the same.

It’s never been a mechanism to enable healthcare tourism, you use it where you need it based on where you happen to fall ill. Travel insurance used to require it as part of the terms.

Hmmm, that's logical, I suppose.
But I would have thought it depends on your country of medical registration and tax registration.
We travel to my partner's country usually several times a year, and up until 31.12.2000 never had a problem with repatriation insurance either way...

However our kids are dual nationals and for the first time this year they couldn't get that cover, although if they were to travel to another EU/EEA country they are covered for repatriation to either of their national countries o_O

Yet another bloody complication of brexit, and it affects millions of people!

There has never been an EU wide standard national healthcare system. Each member state has its own system. The EHIC only ever granted you the same rights as a resident. The new system is the same.
Unfortunately it's not the same as it is now time limited...

Thus should you become ill and go over the three month stay out of every six months in an EU/EEA country it does not cover you...

Sponsored Links
Back