Glow-Worm boiler 3 months old, broken fan?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please help!
We live in a rented flat and had the boiler condemned just before christmas because the flu (sp?!) was not at the correct angle so was puddling in the ceiling.They stuck the new one smack bang in the middle of the living room on an outside wall and all was well...
For the last week the new one (Glow-worm, betacom 24) has been making a horrendous wurring sound like the fan is broken, I don't even know if there is a fan in it but thats what it sounds like.
Have emailed and phoned the landlord and they are 'working on it' but it is making this sound the whole time the heating is on (unless a tap is running) and it is ridiculously loud!
If it wasn't so cold I'd just turn the thing off and be done with it, but please can someone suggest something just to be able to say to the landlord we think its this please send someone to fix it!
Cheers

Sponsored Links
It a proper boiler engineer to diagnose the fault and repair it.

Normally it would be covered by the warranty but sounds as if your landlord gets things done badly on the cheap.

Some tenants move out into a hotel at landlord's expense when they don't make much effort to get it repaired promptly.

Its not your concern what is wrong and no engineer likes to be told how to do his job.

Many will get so upset when its cold they will just walk out !

Tony

Thank you, do you (or anyone) know if I called an engineer out and they repaired it would the landlord have to reimburse me?
I work shifts and it is getting too much now!
Cheers

You would need to have given him every opportunity to get it repaired.

I consider someone to attend within 24 hours.

If you get fed up and he is obviously not calling anyone competent then you have to give him written Notice that as he has failed to get it repaired and the weather is cold then you will need to call an engineer and deduct the invoiced cost from the rent.

But if he got difficult then you would need to be prepared to take him to court where you would almost certainly win.

But that would upset him and he would be difficult at the next renewal date.

Do you have a current Gas Safety Certificate?

Certificate of deposit taker?

EPC when you moved in?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I have turned it off now.
I have emailed them giving them 7 days to organise someone to come out or stated Ill book someone and take it out the next months rent.
Felt 24 hours was a bit tight as the weekend and flat is owned by a company rather than a person so nobody is in the office.
Tried to word it as nicely as possible and as if I was to save them a job to try and avoid issues at renewal.
Yes they issued a cert. when they installed the new boiler late Dec.
Sorry not sure what EPC is!
Cheers

Agile likes to take you down the wrong path. Don't worry about his ramblings. If you have heating and hot water you are not considered a risk. If it was fitted in Dec, I'd strongly suspect the pressure would need re-filling, turn blr off then back on, the display should read water pressure in bar. If low it need topping up.

Sometimes the Glowworms can get noisy after a couple of months (trust me I've fitted 100's) it's a simple fix for a boiler engineer.

The thing will be under guarantee anyway.

Ted

Ring Glowworm they will know from your address if the boiler has been registered and is under warranty and if so should be able to send and engineer.

Cheers,
Have turned it on and off and pressure is going between 1.5 and 2.0 bar, have tried topping it up hasn't changed anything.
Thanks everyone, will give them a ring on monday and try and get someone out to fix!

You said the noise stops when you run a tap? Then it's not a fan fault. ;)
Sounds more like gas valve out of calibration on low rate. :whistle:

EPC is Energy Performance Certificate.

Should be provided when a flat is marketed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back