Glow Worm Boiler Timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all.

Is it acceptable to install a simple timer that just switches the power on / off to the boiler that controls the central heating?

I'm not sure of the model number but it doesn't have an integral or external timer or external stat fitted anywhere so heating has to be switched on / off manually at the boiler at present.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
no not really, boilers usually have a pump over run that keeps the pump running for a while after the burner switches off. if you simply power the boiler off ,you run the risk of it overheating and the overheat limits stat tripping, then when it comes to switching back on..... well, it wont until you reset it.

not all boilers have over runs, especially older ones. older boilers like mine are controlled pretty much that way, but through a timer as the OP wants.

whats the model of the boiler ??

not all boilers have over runs, especially older ones. older boilers like mine are controlled pretty much that way, but through a timer as the OP wants.

whats the model of the boiler ??

Its a low content boiler. Have you not looked at the pictures? If you cannot give constructive advice, please refrain from posting. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
whats your problem?

I was giving constructive advice, you cannot make out the model number from the pictures and i was merely asking for that, so i can dig out the manual.

what part of my post is not constructive? im trying to get this guy an answer, rather than just saying it cant be done because of pump over run.

if you can do better, give him a detailed answer or 'please refrain from posting'

I cant see any difference in a timer turning the boiler off, or the OP turning it off at the main switch...well, other than the fact the OP wont have to keep manually doing it.

I couldn't see a model number on it and no evidence of the manual around. I'll have another look for the model number and see if maybe there is an integral timer that can be installed in to it.

not all boilers have over runs, especially older ones.
yeah i know that, this boiler doesnt look that old from the pics, icant readily identify it but it isnt that old

older boilers like mine are controlled pretty much that way,
this isnt your boiler

but through a timer as the OP wants.

what the OP wants and what is correct or possible is 3 different things

whats the model of the boiler?

correct! that should have been your first question after my original response

bloody hell, is it 'be bitchy but not actually solve any issues' night?

whether im right or wrong in terms of the order of my sentences, and whether i asked the right question in the first place, what conceivable problem can you see with a timer controlling the on/off for the boiler??

At the moment the guy is manually turning the boiler on and off to have the CH on at the switch on the boiler,

this in my opinion is not the correct way of doing it, and it should never have been commisioned this way! Ive just looked up what i think may be the model number, and there is a controller for this. We just need the actual model number to confirm.

what conceivable problem can you see with a timer controlling the on/off for the boiler??

erm... overheating if the pump isnt allowed to overrun.

then having to go thru this

Boiler Safety Cutoff Reset Button
The boiler is fitted with a safety cutoff device to prevent damage
through overheating.
Should the main burner go out during a demand the red lockout
light “F” will illuminate on the control fascia situated above the
Reset Button “G”, see diagram 4.
The red light will not illuminate if there is no system demand.
Allow the boiler and system to cool down waiting at least
a minimum of four minutes before pressing the Reset
button “G”.
The boiler will take a few seconds to reset after the button is
pressed.
If the problem persists, turn the boiler off and consult your
installation/ servicing company.

nuff said?

This is a very peculiar post as that is a Glowworm Compact System boiler, of which I believe there was only 2 models, but essentially the same boiler/different heat exchanger sizes.
I find it hard to believe that a system boiler would be installed with no controls at all? Where is the hot water tank? how do you get hot water in the summer without heating?

This is a very peculiar post as that is a Glowworm Compact System boiler, of which I believe there was only 2 models, but essentially the same boiler/different heat exchanger sizes.
I find it hard to believe that a system boiler would be installed with no controls at all? Where is the hot water tank? how do you get hot water in the summer without heating?

Heating is supplied from a tank with immersion element. The boiler only supplies the central heating.

Yes it'll be possible and very easy to wire in a simple time clock to that boiler.

The boiler will have a switch live, switch live is the command from the timer/thermostat for the boiler to fire. It'll have a permanent live.

You'll find the switch live has been linked to give a permanent call for heat.

Simply wire in the timer into the switch live, or a programable room thermostat and hey presto you'll have time and heat control :)

I like the Drayton Digistat, very simple to wire in if have a basic knowledge of electrics :)

http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/Digistat2RFProgrammableRoomThermostatWireless.aspx

what conceivable problem can you see with a timer controlling the on/off for the boiler??

erm... overheating if the pump isnt allowed to overrun.

then having to go thru this

Boiler Safety Cutoff Reset Button
The boiler is fitted with a safety cutoff device to prevent damage
through overheating.
Should the main burner go out during a demand the red lockout
light “F” will illuminate on the control fascia situated above the
Reset Button “G”, see diagram 4.
The red light will not illuminate if there is no system demand.
Allow the boiler and system to cool down waiting at least
a minimum of four minutes before pressing the Reset
button “G”.
The boiler will take a few seconds to reset after the button is
pressed.
If the problem persists, turn the boiler off and consult your
installation/ servicing company.

nuff said?

If the boiler is being controlled by the on off switch on the boiler then there is currently NO pump over run in action!! If the OP is having to manually turn it off and on at the main switch then he is cutting power to the entire system and thus over riding any of those controls anyway, so doing it the way he is, is actually more dangerous than having a proper timer

all of what you have stated is irrelevant to the task in hand...because the boiler has been designed with an optional timer in mind, and so installing one will not cause any of your perceived issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back