Glow-worm Flexicom 18HX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ya,

I'm new to the forum and have been having a good look around for some guidance on a problem I'm having with the Flexicom 18HX. I noticed tonight a small puddle of water on the shelf below the boiler. I opened up the boiler to find water dripping from the right hand side of the black sump assembly on the bottom of the heat exchanger. The actual area looks like a drain hole but not 100% sure.

Any ideas? Is the sump changeable?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Will.

Sponsored Links
Before we start, you shouldn't take the case off your boiler unless gas safe registered as it forms part of the combustion chamber!

The sump is not available separately, it needs a whole new heat exchanger. Glowworm used to change them under warranty without much fuss but depends how old it is and if you've had it serviced every year. A fixed price repair is likely to be your best option.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Didn't realise that I shouldn't be removing the cover. The boiler was installed in 2009 and we purchased the house in 2013 but cannot find any service history between those dates. We had the boiler serviced before we signed for the house and at that point it was given a clean bill of health.

Not sure if it's worth replacing at this point as the exchangers can be very pricey?

Any ideas if the unit is still safe to use with this leak?

Many Thanks

Will.

If the case is on and hasn't rusted through the bottom then it's safe to use... How long it will continue to work with water leaking is anyone's guess! I wouldn't use it unless I had to. It's likely to do more damage than has already been done.

A fixed price repair means you don't pay for the parts or labour as such, just a one off price. Much, much, cheaper than a new boiler. Either Glowworm themselves do it or bigger companies like British Gas etc. The fixed price repair is likely to be cheaper than the part alone would otherwise cost.

Sponsored Links
If the water coming out is clear would it just be condensation from the exchanger?

Many Thanks

Will.

Yes... But if water can get out then so can the exhaust gases, which will be recirculating in the casing, meaning the boiler isn't burning clean air, meaning carbon monoxide will be produced in higher quantities. It's a slippery slope. One little "innocent" hole in the sump could mean your boiler could kill you (to take it to the extreme).

And it shouldn't be leaking at all, if left will rust through the bottom case and will be curtains.
Call gloworm with the serial number to hand, I've got several customers refunds, (when they've paid an upfront charge) as it's a known fault, you may get it done FOC.

Hi,

Many thanks for the replies, I have been onto Glow-Worm and paid a fixed price to have it repaired with a view to seeing if it is indeed the known fault. If it is I get a refund. Apparently my serial number fell just outside the scope of affected ones.

Many Thanks for your help chaps!

Regards

Will.

I'm actually in Kent, the Maldives is where I wish I was.

Hi,

Just to give an update my boiler has been served with a Warning Notice. Appears it does have the known fault with the heat exchanger and sump. It also has a known fault with the flue condense pipe that connects to the sump. I am currently awaiting repair and contact from the manufacturer.

Many Thanks

Will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back