Good driver, or just lucky ?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I just don't believe it. If that is true, he must have been driving around in an untaxed car too because we all know you need insurance to tax a vehicle. It's inconceivable that he has got away without taxing a car too and not been pulled up or fined - especially in the days when you needed a tax disc in the window.
I was thinking that too, a few years ago a mate of mine took up with a woman who lived nearby, she had some sort of recruitment business which involved a fair bit of travel so he used to drive her in her car to meetings. Sadly she died suddenly and he was left to deal with her affairs, he discovered her car had had no tax, MOT or insurance for years (n)

Sponsored Links
maybe the car was a classic so not needing paperwork??
and driving for 70 years could be pre licence as in he could be 85-100 years old??
if he isnt in the system as having a licence he wont come up as needing doctors checks with age ??
but purely a guess

How about when he changes cars? These days you can't drive away without taxing it first, though I suppose if he bought off a private sale then the seller doesn't need to ask if he has taxed it first.
H'mm, but then when you sell a car the new driver gets a green slip and the seller sends off the rest of the V5 stating who he sold it to.

Nobody says it’s his car . maybe he never actually owned a car. maybe his wife owns insures and taxes the car for herself and he just drives it.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe the car was a classic so not needing paperwork??
and driving for 70 years could be pre licence as in he could be 85-100 years old??
if he isnt in the system as having a licence he wont come up as needing doctors checks with age ??
but purely a guess

Driving licence required from 1903
Driving test introduced in 1934

He was born 1938, so must have managed to stay below the radar. He must have bought cars and not registered them, or at least not in his name.

How about when he changes cars? These days you can't drive away without taxing it first, though I suppose if he bought off a private sale then the seller doesn't need to ask if he has taxed it first.
H'mm, but then when you sell a car the new driver gets a green slip and the seller sends off the rest of the V5 stating who he sold it to.

What's to stop you giving the seller a fictitious name and address?

I remember when I started my first job in 1972ish there was an old bloke working part time as an accounts clerk, we called him Nuvolari, he'd drive the half mile on the back road to the company at 5mph and by the time he'd parked his car there'd be a 3 mile tailback. He'd never taken a driving test or had lessons and I was quite shocked at the time to discover that, I had no idea they just dished them out.

I call BS.

ANPR wiped out the chances of getting away with this years ago.

It's either jackanory or the bloke had only just started driving.

It's very possible that the fella did very few miles as of late, since the ANPRs were introduced, and/or he travelled on uncovered side roads or rural spaces.
He was 80+ so it's not likely he was out with the lads every weekend.
I believe that up until about the early 70's there was no strict control over logbooks, etc. Even tax discs were easily forged or altered. I don't know when it became possible to check on insurance 'at the side of the road', but I suspect it was only early 70's when plod could ring up an insurance company (if he knew which one to ring up) and verify the insurance details.

Even today, as far as I am aware, there is no requirement to hold a valid licence to own a car.
So theoretically, avoiding ANPRs, never being stopped, (who's going to stop a 70 -80 year old in rural lanes), never having an accident, it's quite conceivable for someone to drive for many years without a licence, insurance, etc.

"The driver told officers he had been driving without a licence or insurance for over 70 years "

of course, he might not have been telling the truth

he could have been driving cars taxed by somebody else. Or he could have fraudulently used details from somebody else, such as a family member

I don't believe I have ever had to show my licence to get car insurance or road tax.

BTW the driving test was introduced before WW2, but was suspended during the war, so there are still people who might have got a licence without taking a test. They must be in their 90's by now, depending when the test became compulsory again.

edit

2nd September 1939
Driving test suspended for the duration of World War Two and resumed on 1st November 1946.

18th February 1947
A period of a year granted for wartime provisional licences to be converted into full licence without passing the test.

24th November 1956
Testing suspended during the Suez Crisis. Learners allowed to drive unaccompanied and examiners help to administer petrol rations.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back