Google Nest E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve finally taken the plunge and bought a Nest E which I’ll install myself to replace my 150 year old Honeywell CM51 thermostat (2 wire). It all seems straightforward but I’m a little confused about exactly which temperature sensor is used in determining the current room temperature. It seems that both the Heatlink E (the bit that goes on the wall and replaces the thermostat) and the Nest E (the thing on the stand) have temperature sensors.

Which one takes the reading that’s used to trigger the heating?

Sponsored Links
The heatlink, the bit that replaces your two wired thermostat does not sense any temperature , it is a switch that "the bit on the stand" tells when it wants it to fire your boiler

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW

Attachments

• 4E616BA6-575C-43BE-A1D1-07B9616A702D.png
    4E616BA6-575C-43BE-A1D1-07B9616A702D.png
    384.1 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
Just had a conversation with Nest support:

“The temperature sensors from the Heat Link E are an experimental feature and would be used in the development of future features and products, but don't currently serve a purpose. The Thermostat measures the ambient temperature using its own temperature sensors, which are used to help the thermostat stop heating when the target temperature is set to help you save energy.”

• Thanks
Just had a conversation with Nest support:

“The temperature sensors from the Heat Link E are an experimental feature and would be used in the development of future features and products, but don't currently serve a purpose. The Thermostat measures the ambient temperature using its own temperature sensors, which are used to help the thermostat stop heating when the target temperature is set to help you save energy.”
I wonder which salesman thought that shoite up, why would you want two points of temperature measurement on a single zone ? what are they going to do, divide the measurement by 2 then go with that ?

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back