Gosford Park

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I watched the film this w/end, and was dismayed to find it had no subtitles on the DVD.

As some know, I have HF deafness on both sides, and found the soundtrack on GP very badly put together. It seemed to me that the background noise(s) were always drowning out the speech, so I missed most of what was said. Has anybody else who's HOH noticed this on this or any other films?

Sponsored Links
i sympathise with you entirely securespark, i'm forever having to ask the missus, 'what did he say'? and it is predominantly whilst the actors are talking.

:LOL:

Yeah, I ask Mrs Secure what was being said & then we both miss the next line, or the punchline, or whatever.

Mrs Secure is then very :evil: ...

my hearing is good, but often i find i will rewatch a dvd with the subtitles on and often find my self going...Oh Thats what he said, makes sense now.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried using headphones. I've got a pair of radio ones so there is no cable to get in the way. For some reason it is much easier to hear what's going on on the phones, even with the volume turned down.

Cheers, pickles, may well try that.

How much were yours?

noseall said:
i sympathise with you entirely securespark, i'm forever having to ask the missus, 'what did he say'?
I thought it was me as well, my wife have very good hearing and doesn't get most of what been said, I only just found out, we must talk more :!: :LOL:

Secure, you can have a loop system in your home, don't know anything about it though, here, scroll down to "Induction loop and infrared systems in the home"

securespark said:
Cheers, pickles, may well try that.

How much were yours?

Less Than £50, but it was a few years ago now. It's the usual thing there's a range of prices depending on quality. A quick Google just found a Sony pair for £41.99.

Just one thing. The phones plug into the headphone socket so make sure your tv has one. Also this might mute the speaker sound so Mrs Secure will either have to lip read or you need a pair for her as well.

I think I bought mine in Comet or Dixons and you could get sets with more than one pair of headphones.

hi secure, make sure you TV doesnt have any 'surround sound effects' turned on (unless its dolby), many TVs have effect to make the normal stereo speakers sound more ambient (surround like) this boosts background noises and wont help you one bit!

Many TVs have audio out now, for Hifis, which you can use for headphones. My cordless headphones came with a "3.5mm headphone jack" to "twin audio phono plug" lead! Plugging into the TV's phono outs will not mute the sound. Also, there is a way to convert the scart in/out on the tv to a 3.5mm audio jack. ;)

Beware the audio out is an "unamplified" source, so changing the TVs volume wont affect them. You need cordless headphones with volume control (which most have anyway)

masona said:
Secure, you can have a loop system in your home

I appreciate that. But it's not the sound I had trouble with, just trying to distinguish what was said over the intrusive background noise.

Crafty said:
Many TVs have audio out now, for Hifis, which you can use for headphones. My cordless headphones came with a "3.5mm headphone jack" to "twin audio phono plug" lead! Plugging into the TV's phono outs will not mute the sound. Also, there is a way to convert the scart in/out on the tv to a 3.5mm audio jack. ;)

Beware the audio out is an "unamplified" source, so changing the TVs volume wont affect them. You need cordless headphones with volume control (which most have anyway)

Picked up a set of headphones to plug in to the front of the tv, with volume control, from Currys, for under £10.00.

I think there is far too much intrusive backround sound in most films/tv programs these days. I know that people are standing in an airport, I don't need to hear a 747 taking off at full throttle to convince me.

Galena1 said:

I think there is far too much intrusive backround sound in most films/tv programs these days. I know that people are standing in an airport, I don't need to hear a 747 taking off at full throttle to convince me.

Or these irritating sound tracks played at more than background level (or at background level) when they are running through the news headlines.

I used to enjoy watching the French, Checzoslovakian, or Hungarian films shown on television years ago. One good thing about them is that they had no pointless music.

oilman said:
Galena1 said:

I used to enjoy watching the French, Checzoslovakian, or Hungarian films shown on television years ago. One good thing about them is that they had no pointless music.

i think they were known as 'Film Noir'.

If you have a "surround sound" or "Home Cinema" amp (5+1 channels) then the "centre" speaker channel holds the dialogue and main action, the side and back channels do the FX, planes taking off, traffic etc. So if you can listen to the "front" channel it should be easier - whether on a speaker or through headphones. Your DVD player probably already has separate channel outputs but your TV probably hasn't. The AV amp will decode and separate them for you.

AV Receivers and "front" speakers need not be very expensive. Ignore the ones with loads of knobs, buttons and special effects - you will never use them. The "front" speakers are magnetically shielded so you can put then under or on your TV without deranging the picture. They also generally give much better sound quality than the TV speakers.

I get my stuff from Mr. Richer and prefer JBL speakers.

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/productlist.php?cda=productlist&sgroup=CENTRES&sort=price

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/productlist.php?cda=productlist&sgroup=AVRECEIVERS&sort=price

This stuff will also replace your existing HiFi amp and tuner. The "one-box" kits are not usually much good.

Sponsored Links
Back