GPS on new BG vans

Sponsored Links
there's always a handful of manufacturers jobs on rigenergy website
Bet there is nothing up here in the grim north east, well except for high teenage pregancies and chip shops - ergo, best start selling to the poor old biddies :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Bg claim the trackers are in for planning so they can see who is closest to the next job that comes in so yes your van will be monitored constantly. The fact its all bullshot and bg struggle to issue 2 services in the same postcode seems not to matter, they want engineers gone cheaply and here is their opportunity.

The way i see it the trackers are going to make the guys that dont pull their weight get their arse's in gear or **** off. Either way makes my life better.

the union and BG both claim its for work allocation purposes but i cant believe it myself. the union are firmly in BG's pocket.

even if the information wasnt used in a formal disciplinary its probably going to be used to confirm the suspicions of the management so they can use recognised methods of recording misconduct. i believe everyone will be under scrutiny and those who think their good scores will keep the wolves from the door had better get their **** in order as i doubt it will make much difference unless you are in the top three of the patch.

of course trackers can be got round fairly easily but if someone is watching for vans disappearing off the "radar" it is of little use in the long term.

if you think that management having the ability to use this equipment to weed out weaker engs is a bonus then you need to think about the bigger picture. numbers dictate your shift patterns, the lower the numbers the worse your life becomes. even useless ****s have a purpose in BG.

i just read the first post properly.

i dont believe the new caddy's have trackers on them yet, they will most likely be installed with the rest of them in the next few months.

We have trackrs in our company vans - We don't fit them in the company cars except teh business needs cars.

It is all about

1. Seeing who is speeding, those who do will be disciplined. You cause an accident and kill someone while driving your company van and you can now put your boss in prison for manslaughter! They are making sure you don't.

2. More effiecine tuse of resources.

3. Making sure you are really working the hours you claim you are working, and are where you claim you are (e.g. Overtime). They reckon the trackers reduced overtime claims by £20k a month here without having to check anything - the guys just stopped claiming what they were not doing.

4. They can also check the van is not used when it is not supposed to be used (i.e. are you avoiding BIK tax by saying you don't use it except for work but then using it away from work).

The trackers are not just real time, they RECORD so we can see where a van has been at any time in the last six months, what routes it has used etc. If you screen the tracker they will know and will want to know why. And the unit in the van records as well so when it does make contact(when you take the foil off) it dumps all the data you were trying to conceal back into the system!

Looks like follow the rules or get sacked - about time BG did it, might allow them to be price competitive. After all it should be about getting the best price and service for the customer, not givning the fitters an easy life.

Big brother is watching ! ! ! ! !

After all it should be about getting the best price and service for the customer, not givning the fitters an easy life.

I don't think I'd be out of line speaking for my colleagues at BG on here but we arent concerned about having an easy life as you say.
We are more concerned about the data and how senior management will use the information.
How totalitarian will they be? For example....... its 12:50 when you finish a job, there is a sandwich shop round the corner, will they see this as disiplinary action if you nip round to get some lunch?
Who will be making these choices?
I would hope the rules and monitoring is equal across the board, and from personal experience I know that as soon as local managers start being given carte-blanche to view the GPS data, innocent lads are going to be in for the high jump.
Its human nature, manager with a beef with an engineer, be this, attitude, low sales, whatever, will use every tool at his disposal to nab the lad. GPS being a gift from the god for them.

Efficienecy wise, of course I can see the benefits not only for BG but for us.... especially with the new work measures for output.... closer jobs means for output..... I honestly cant see it working though... again from personal experience at Transco.... the emergency lads were supposed to be utilitsed like this and it never worked..... they tried it on my side (network) and it was a disaster..... you are remote dispatchers who do not know the area looking at pretty dots on the screen and thinking all is good.

We arent naive in thinking there are not benefits, we just want assurances the system will be used fairly and without prejudice. BG lads, is that about right?

Its about a big company with grown up employees treating them with further contempt, now we are going to have to put our hands up and ask if we are allowed to go to the toilet. Do me a favour, Bg will be losing a lot of the better blokes who have the skill and confidence to find a decent job and be left struggling to hold onto the dross again when things pick back up.

It can work both ways and has been done before .
You can inform your manager as everyone has a day off during week they will waste it and follow them about and log and photograph everything they do.
Amazing how it makes them change there attitude.
Union could quite easily say to management that it is a work tool and not a disciplinary tool

Cant see how its going make the incapable work any faster

Heateam now have trackers installed......i don't have any issues. We have been repeatedly told by area boss even he can't access the data unless there is a gross misconduct issue or for health and safety purposes ie your late home, wife worried, no answer from phone, calls office and they will on directors approval check whereabouts. I pay my tax value to use the vehicle privately. Personal jobs are done in my van and i am home each day between 1-3.......none has ever chased me up.

If you're taking the p..s then they will use it....don't and whats the problem.?

Heateam now have trackers installed......i don't have any issues. We have been repeatedly told by area boss even he can't access the data unless there is a gross misconduct issue or for health and safety purposes ie your late home, wife worried, no answer from phone, calls office and they will on directors approval check whereabouts. I pay my tax value to use the vehicle privately. Personal jobs are done in my van and i am home each day between 1-3.......none has ever chased me up.

If you're taking the p..s then they will use it....don't and whats the problem.?

baxi and bg are completely different organisations that are worlds apart. bg you are paid by the hour for a start and they have to cover 24hrs a day, including shifts etc. bg have an aging workforce and a pensions black hole amounting to hundreds of millions, they are losing market share and the installation side is losing money. They need to shed as much labour on the old contracts as possible. They are planning to use subbies to carry out ALL the servicing in future and keeping direct labour on repairs/upgrades.

Trackers are just the first step of many initatives they have planned over the next few years and they know it's an employers market right now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back