GP's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just read an article in a newspaper about a report thats just come out that says companies like Boots should be able to offer GP services.

Apparently a lot people would rather pay to see someone. I think Gp's are an arrogant lot who take their patients turning up at their door for granted and a bit of competition for the businees would be a very good idea

What do you all think

Sponsored Links
Why would the service from, or attitude of your GP be any different whether his surgery is on Boots premises or at your local health centre?

Sponsored Links
hermes said:
Why would the service from, or attitude of your GP be any different whether his surgery is on Boots premises or at your local health centre?

Because you would be paying Boots, or whoever, for the services of their medic, and whether you came back would be dependent on how well you were treated rather than on the fact that you are on a government list which is what happens at present.

The same thing that makes people shop around for good plumbers, builders, electricians, accountants, lawyers etc and makes them have to think about the quality of the service they give

pickles said:
I have just read an article in a newspaper about a report thats just come out that says companies like Boots should be able to offer GP services.
What level of services are they talking about? If it's anything serious I would've thought going to Gp is your best option but then I don't know what they are offering because they won't have your medical files

I have to say I'm very lucky & happy with my 6 Gp's although I do hear of some disapointment with others area.

masona said:
pickles said:
What level of services are they talking about? If it's anything serious I would've thought going to Gp is your best option but then I don't know what they are offering because they won't have your medical files

I have to say I'm very lucky & happy with my 6 Gp's although I do hear of some disapointment with others area.

Basically you go to Boots or BUPA whoever and they provide the service. the Medic is their employee so he gives the advice but they are the ones responsible for the service. If you have a problem they have to resolve it. They will view it commercially, ie how do we attract and retain patients which has to be good for the public, and more importantly if you get cheesed off you just go somewhere else without all the list change hassle you have at present, which is up to the Practice who can refuse you if they want to

Pickles - I think you should consider changing your GP.

GPs are an overpaid triage service.

I usually have to tell them what the problem is and what prescription I want.

Ask them anything other than basic and you get "I'm a generalist but if you want me to refer you to the hospital I will do".

So i look on the Internet and get all the info I want.

Besides that, male GPs have such a shocking record with women that they now have to have a 'chaperone' to protect female patients when it's 'knickers off' time.

Personally I think that male GPs should be banned from treating women for intimate problems. Women should see women doctors and men should see men doctors.

It matters not whether a bloke is a plumber, bricklayer or doctor. He's still a bloke and behaves like a bloke. Gerrum off darlin'.

joe

if you put GP's on the market, all that would happen is that people would pay to go and see the doc that would give them what they wanted.. ie a sick note or a prescription that they thought they need, just cos they read it on the net somewhere.
You dont pay for your current GP so why winge. if they dont give you whjat you want then they have their uses.
As for overpaid (ok they are a form of triage), you try being one. 6 years of med school, followed by 3 years of training followed by being on call every third night.
The GP's arent the over paid ones.. its the incompetent hospital managers and beurocracy that is over paid.

I usually have to tell them what the problem is

shocking, i have to do that with mine, apparantly hes not got a crystal ball yet, still waiting for funding from the nhs :LOL:

my doctor is great he explains everything and even sends info about any ailments you may have or drugs your on, that he's lifted off the www, too late cos I'll have already done that but its the thought that counts, their not over paid are they? £50,000 ? i would guess

Sponsored Links
Back