Great british cars-nostalgia

Austin Cambridge/Morris oxford, Humber Hawk and Super Snipe, Triumph Herald/ Vitesse, Ford Corsair, they were proper cars. In those days you only had to see one small part of the car and you knew what it was, now they all look the same.

I beg to differ, Italian cars do not look the same, they have something called "flair" something the Japs know nothing about.

Sponsored Links
On the subject of recognising cars, it wasn't just the looks that were distinctive, but the sound of them too. Examples that were easy to reconise were Moggie Minors with the distinctive exhaust noise, Triumph Heralds had a certain noise, Minis - different noise again. You could tell a Mk4 Cortina miles off, from the racket made by the worn cam. :oops:

There was a guy on a quiz programme yonks ago who could recognise British cars just from photographs of their rear lights in the dark....he was given twenty to guess and got the whole lot right.

My favourite motor in the early seventies was a used C reg.3.8 S Type Jag...the only car I ever owned where stomping down the by-pass you could actually see the fuel gauge going down.

Buy a Fix It Again Tomorrow. (Fiat)

I can't speak, have a Scudo van. :oops:

That was my 131Sport, you had to drive it to appreciate it fully, going out to Patchway along Cribbs Causway before they put the roundabout in, i could take that at 90 no problem, no roll, no dramatics, just sure footed is that the best you can do attitude from the car. Please Mr Fiat your retro Abarth 500 is a massive success, give us an up to date four wheel drive, fuel injected Subaru killer. :cool:

That was my 131Sport, you had to drive it to appreciate it fully, going out to Patchway along Cribbs Causway before they put the roundabout in, i could take that at 90 no problem, no roll, no dramatics, just sure footed is that the best you can do attitude from the car. Please Mr Fiat your retro Abarth 500 is a massive success, give us an up to date four wheel drive, fuel injected Subaru killer. :cool:

I sit corrected. Not just one of Turin's ordinary cars. Bit of a driver's car.

Sponsored Links
There was a guy on a quiz programme yonks ago who could recognise British cars just from photographs of their rear lights in the dark....he was given twenty to guess and got the whole lot right.

Some people can take this car thing TOO far. :LOL:

My favourite motor in the early seventies was a used C reg.3.8 S Type Jag...the only car I ever owned where stomping down the by-pass you could actually see the fuel gauge going down.

Always wanted one, or perhaps MK2 3.8. or MK10. Definitely E Type.

You would have appreciated this Jag I saw in Prague last month. Owned by a Czech couple, and restored in Czech Republic. It's a left-hooker V12. Amazing restoration, like new. Must be 40+ years old. Had to get the camera out.

[/i]

HEY! I just noticed you got the same van as me, also available in white. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's been a good couple of weeks for the Scud. Passed it's MOT, and nothing's fallen off, stopped working, leaked or made a whining noise. The van that is, not me. :LOL:

Would you believe it's silver. :cool:

They used to put a 4.3 Yank Ford V8 in the Sunbeam Tiger (the hairy chested version of the hairdressers Alpine), so maybe this is what they put in the Imperial. Snipe had twin headlights too. The Imperial had vinyl roof, pas and electronically adjustable rear shocks.

Confirmed anorak. :oops:

Yes I believe that one of the Imps did have a Ford engine.... My pal knows everything about the cars and has lots of documentation... The other one with air con I remember was a Chrysler engine.. He kept one to restore himself but sold one to an enthusiast who had it completely refurbed with no expense spaired... He had some photos of it and it really did look nice..

Just had a quick google and the new owner has posted a pic
GALLERY]

Always wanted one, or perhaps MK2 3.8. or MK10. Definitely E Type.

You would have appreciated this Jag I saw in Prague last month. Owned by a Czech couple, and restored in Czech Republic. It's a left-hooker V12. Amazing restoration, like new. Must be 40+ years old. Had to get the camera out.

[/i]

Thats a beauty, I love a Jaaaaag.

Here is my old turd. Check that pimp interior :D

Picture026-1.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Been thinking about another jaaag, hard to find an old one thats not fecked though :(

The old man has a rather nice E-type though :)

where's the spare one, that you drive while the other's being mended?

where's the spare one, that you drive while the other's being mended?

:LOL:

It did love some roadside TLC. I got quite used to car horns and irate drivers wanting to kill me for daring to break down.

Didn't like a cold morning in particular......I had shares in Holts Wet Start for a while.

Sponsored Links
Back