Great british cars-nostalgia

The six cylinder 2200cc Princess was slower than the same sized 4 cylinder 1647cc Renault 20.

Completely wrong. :rolleyes:

The Princess is faster.

http://www.leylandprincess.co.uk/Specifications.htm

http://www.autospecs.info/CarSpecs/1976-renault-20-tl

But, if you had any experience of these cars, and re-read my original post on the subject, you will realise that top speed wasn't the 2200's biggest advantage, acceleration and torque was.

For example, the Princess was 2 seconds quicker 0 - 60 than a Mercedes 200. A much more expensive car.

This is not what a road test reported at the time, referring to acceleration.

Someone I knew bought a new Princess, and sold it again within months. When asked, he just said: "THE PRINCESS HAS GONE!" And the Renault 20/30s were good and comfortable. I had a 30 for years.

About the Humber Imperials - were there really V8 versions? - I thought they were extra-luxurious Super Snipes with the same straight six, which was a sophisticated hemi-head engine.

Sponsored Links
Datsun cherry 100a enough said ! Jaguar XJS, nice looking car, why oh why, did they never build a good one!!

About the Humber Imperials - were there really V8 versions? - I thought they were extra-luxurious Super Snipes with the same straight six, which was a sophisticated hemi-head engine.

MM Yes there were a handfull of Imperial V8s made, some were SuperSnipes but none ever made it to the show room.. the one in the pic I believe was made for Lord Rootes I believe it to be the one that my pal sold to the present owner... The reg number does ring a bell but I'd have to check.. He know these cars inside out and he can be quite a bore. It is a pity that these days development cars are destroyed at the end of their lives, I know a lad who is a test driver for Bentley and has driven the W12 Golf that Clarkson drove and a Bentley Arnarge (Poss the later body shape Bentley) with the Bugatti Veron engine fitted... The rear tyres had to be glued to the rims to prevent the wheels spinning in the tyres.... They were both totally bonkers

Just had a quick google and the new owner has posted a pic
GALLERY]

What a car. Looks like it's in fantastic condition. For me, would be a tough choice between this one and a Rover P5.

If you get the chance to drive one of these back from Greece, would be a good trip. If you can't, put me down for it. I'm free. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
[Here is my old turd.
Picture026-1.jpg

Nice one. Yes, Jaguar always new how to do an interior. Shame about some of the mechanicals.

My old man used to have one from this vintage, 3.6 E reg. Don't remember it being unreliable, but the rust got into it. Rear arches and door bottoms going, but the boot lid above number plate seemed to be self-destructing. Got something Gerry after that.

I still hanker after an XJ. Must be a V8, though. Maybe one of the ones made of recycled bacofoil and coke cans.

I still hanker after an XJ. Must be a V8, though. Maybe one of the ones made of recycled bacofoil and coke cans.

Yes, the XJ is the last of the proper Jags. Neighbour's got a modern X type, diesel estate. Only thing Jag about this car is the badge.

I've got an s type, probably the ugliest jag ever made, but a proper jag nonetheless, quite a good car, but admittedly pig ugly.

[Here is my old turd.
Picture026-1.jpg

Nice one. Yes, Jaguar always new how to do an interior. Shame about some of the mechanicals.

My old man used to have one from this vintage, 3.6 E reg. Don't remember it being unreliable, but the rust got into it. Rear arches and door bottoms going, but the boot lid above number plate seemed to be self-destructing. Got something Gerry after that.

That one was a G-plate and rotten to the core. A-pillar, C-pillar, sunroof tray, boot, above the number plate, floors, sills all gone. There was that much water in the drivers floor I had mushrooms growing in the floor mat :LOL:

Being the XJR though it had the bigger engine and sport gearbox which was fun, the interior was also higher spec, those seats were immaculate for it's age and uber comfy.

Some guy round Bristol way bought it from me.

Shame that one is the other way round though, good body-crap engine.

To round off my nostalgic trip with Brit cars i gotta mention the Vikings head on the Rover bonnet, win the 60's we knicked them off the car in order to adorn our leather jackets.

Sponsored Links
Back