Green sticky stuff in ceiling rose

securespark said:
sidecar_jon said:
No, because we made the mistake of letting British Gas in last year.

As far as I can remember from my conversations with BG engineers, they do not do PIR's.....

They do a "home care" thing which if you pay enough they will come round and condemn your wire and gas! We suffered from only their gas bit, but i wouldn't trust them as far as i can throw the house now.

My i say thanks for the info all.

Sponsored Links
I think getting a pir done would be worth it, i found a fault in my electrics (shared netral-but we'll not talk about that now I'll open a new topic when i have all the pictures and figured out exactly what they have done), -that could have killed me -but now i know its there it wont! even though it may be a while before i do a permiment fix (for now i have put a lable on the CU), knowing what is wrong with your electrics you can prioritise what needs doing and when.

sm1thson - you clearly don't understand.

sidecar_jon's electrics haven't killed him yet, or started a fire yet, so obviously they never will, and that's all he needs to know. Why should he pay someone to tell him things he doesn't want^H^H^H^H need to know?

ban-all-sheds said:
sm1thson - you clearly don't understand.

sidecar_jon's electrics haven't killed him yet, or started a fire yet, so obviously they never will, and that's all he needs to know. Why should he pay someone to tell him things he doesn't want^H^H^H^H need to know?

yep..... does a checking electrician have the power to turn it all off?

Sponsored Links
Well in that case.... i might do it, maybe worth waiting for Rumania and Hungry to join the EEC, plenty cheep Electricians then.... only joking

Thanks for the information and opinion. Sorry if i get sort of arsey at times, i just paid for new central heating, feeling sore!

sidecar_jon said:
They do a "home care" thing which if you pay enough they will come round and condemn your wire and gas! We suffered from only their gas bit, but i wouldn't trust them as far as i can throw the house now.

As I understand it, they have no power to force work to be done. they can only advise that certain situations are At Risk or NTCS...

My friend had them round, he had undersized bonding on the water and an RCD incomer on the CU, as well as insuffiently sized airvents. He was advised these were NTCS, but that was all. He was offered a quote which he declined, and he still receives home care.

Ok sorry about being so grumpy, but i did the sensible thing as advised by more sensible people than me.And got an Electrician to check it out... and yes i had "Green Gunge" desease, but its not all the wires, its the green sleeving on the earth wires in the cieling roses About and inch of insulation slipped over the bare earth wire in the cabeling, so easily fixed.

thanks and i can only apologise for being so tetchy.

Hello Sidecar_jon,
Glad to hear that you got your 'goo' checked out. The cause of the problem has been put down to the earth sleeving itself I gather ? I was led to believe that the cable (properties of) were to blame. Can you confirm that it was caused by the sleeving as I am curious to know please.
Thanks very much.

I understand it was the plasticisers used in the PVC of the insulation that caused the trouble, so I can believe that the G&Y sheathing would have been from a different batch from the cable - may even have been kicking around in someone's van for quite a long time. If this is the case I think sidecar_jon has had a lucky escape - changing the G&Y is a lot easier than running new cable about the house :)

sidecar_jon said:
No, because we made the mistake of letting British Gas in last year. And that's wiped us out of money for the next few years.

Sadly, I occasionally visit houses suffering from this effect. I am often able to repair/make safe and re-commission the appliance(s), and it makes me wonder how many appliances BG condemn unnecessarily.

Last example was only yesterday. I recommissioned a Gledhill Cormorant thermal store that had been (correctly) ID'ed by BG due to flame overspill, but all that was actually needed was the heat exchanger and burner assembly cleaning out thoroughly. Part of the normal service procedure. They couldn't be bothered to service it in the Traditional Way so they condemned it and told the punter to spend £5k on a new system. I saved him £4,800, and that pleased me enormously.

Cheers,
M4

That's a bit naughty. However, what do you mean by the "traditional way"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back