Grid Switches and Dry Lining Boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do grid switches work with dry lining boxes or do they require grid switch back boxes?

Cheers, John

Sponsored Links
Yes they will work fine with standard dry lining boxes.
You will however need the grid that houses the switch.

you may find it takes a bit more time to get the adjustment right for the gridswitch protruding through the cover, and sometimes find the actual grid screws are too short to reach the box lugs to get it right.

The other problem is that the grid can't go really flush as the plastic lip of the box sits on top of the plaster. I've had to nibble away at it (with my cutters) before now to get the grid to sit better. Better really to batten out and fit a proper grid box if possible.

Sponsored Links
you get the same problem with all dry lining boxes.. sockets don't sit fluch either..
you're supposed to fit them before the wall is skimmed.. the plaster makes up the difference..

if you're retro fitting, score round the box with a knife and use a wood chisel to scrape a layer of plaster away so it sits flush.. ( usually said skim, but you can dig into the board too.. )

you get the same problem with all dry lining boxes.. sockets don't sit fluch either..
you're supposed to fit them before the wall is skimmed.. the plaster makes up the difference..

Ugh. What a terrible, terrible thing to do, and something that I absolutely loathe to see done. All that happens is that as soon as an accessory is lifted off the wall, the extremely thin plaster skim blows off around the plastic flange of the backbox. God forbid if you need to remove the box for access...

They are designed to be fitted prior to skimming and usually cause sockets to sit proud a tad.

that's what I said..

a quick rub round the rim with some vaseline, lipsol, tallow etc stops the plaster sticking to the face and edges of the box, leaving a perfect slot for it.. :)

alternatively, run a knife round the edge before removing the box or prior to second fixing..

if you're retro fitting, score round the box with a knife and use a wood chisel to scrape a layer of plaster away so it sits flush.. ( usually said skim, but you can dig into the board too.. )

your 'avin a larf, talk about a pigs ear.

as opposed to having nice flat plate accessories sitting slightly off the wall showing a 1mm gap all round it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back