Grit "What Grit"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a smashing new year, either your car or your neck, where's all the grit gone?
i live opposite an old peoples home and i gritted the main walkways and my front path for all to use safely, but now its all gone and no re-placement grit.
i dont like to use the car unless really needed so i walk and run the same risk, i think i would do more damage to myself walking than driving slow in a car.
just a total disgrace here in surrey.
we are on afew hills in our area and a large bin of grit does not go far, why oh why does this county fall on it's knee's because of a little snow.

Fill these grit bins and give people a choice and a chance to get what's needed.
Just glad i'm not a pensioner (yet) and have a choice to get food etc when i need it.
Global warming "bring it on" Thats the least of our worries.

While i'm at it, Bring our soldiers home and leave others alone, we need our own country sorted first.

Sponsored Links
Drove to Bolton and back the other day and saw one gritter in a total of over a hundred miles, he was snowploughing not gritting. Not a sign of grit on any roads.

Have a smashing new year, either your car or your neck, where's all the grit gone?
i live opposite an old peoples home and i gritted the main walkways and my front path for all to use safely, but now its all gone and no re-placement grit.
i dont like to use the car unless really needed so i walk and run the same risk, i think i would do more damage to myself walking than driving slow in a car.
we are on afew hills in our area and a large bin of grit does not go far, why oh why does this county fall on it's knee's because of a little snow.

Fill these grit bins and give people a choice and a chance to get what's needed.
Just glad i'm not a pensioner (yet) and have a choice to get food etc when i need it.

While i'm at it, Bring our soldiers home and leave others alone, we need our own country sorted first.

it's people like you using it willy nilly that has left us with a grit shortage..
it's there for use on the road not the pathways..
and especially not for use on private drives and paths..

Sponsored Links
Coljack wrote....

it's people like you using it willy nilly that has left us with a grit shortage..

A trifle hard, whilst agreeing it should not be used for private drives and paths, grit bins are intended for local public pathways, gritting waggons do not fill up from these bins, they fill up perhaps 10 tons at a time at a depot, grit is a misnomer anyway, it's actually rock salt.

Wotan

no, it's grit..

sand, small rocks salt and molasses... ( helps it stick to the road.. :) )

people use it wastefully.. a shovel full is supposed to be spread out over about 3-4 meters of path, not dumped in one spot covering less than a meter..

Whatever you call it, it aint getting put on the roads!
How right you are, but even if they have no rock salt, most gritting lorries have a snow plough blade that can be fitted, have not seen any of those being used either, local council cut backs? :cry: ;)

Wotan

Southern Ireland for years never gritted their main roads. ( And still don't in many places)
However if your driving around the CRG's (Celtic Road Group) Dublin motorways you'll find they will have all their roads gritted whilst councils are so cash strapped they can hardly afford to build storage facilities for the salt they need.

The CRG built a new salt storage complex at Dunleer last year covering about two acres costing millions. State of the art facility.

The local county council has their own run down tin shack ( 30'x20') next door and wanted to upgrade to something better also.
Lo and behold they hadn't the readies and went cap in hand to the private group CRG. Nothing built yet though.

I can't help feeling that the once wealthy mainland Britian is going the same way. (ie - broke)

I agree with the OP.
Fly our boys back from Afghanistan immediately and get them gritting the roads, the war at home is more important, the war on frozen water!!

:rolleyes:

The grit bin is 5ft away from the door of the old peoples home (council) in a small cul-de-sac driveway of about 6 cars, the main pathway is public and used by many people including my family who my son is disabled and needs transport (public carpark) which is 50 metres away from my home, the only access is to use the public footpath which i grit including the busy road leading to my car.
when you get to your destination and leave your car, "do you fly", when you get to the age of retirement (i'm in my 40s) and you are trapped for some reason, you may well thank the person who bothers to help you.

do you honestly think that these grit bins will cover our road network and people helping people will bring your journey to an end.

Take a reality check, what they get now (just someone helping) you will get when your old, if you ever get there safely.

This is true grit

true-grit.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back