GRUNDFOS Circulator pump

OEM means that they are not beholden to give you any information on the pump. You are supposed to refer to the system builder, who got the pump at a ridiculous price on the grounds that Grundfos wouldn't have to support the end user.

Sponsored Links
OEM means that they are not beholden to give you any information on the pump. You are supposed to refer to the system builder, who got the pump at a ridiculous price on the grounds that Grundfos wouldn't have to support the end user.

They claim the pump isn't serviceable, well at least here in the UK.

I am going to write to the CEO of Grundfos and ask why.

What are in the US service kits then?

The best way to think about it is by parts. Grundfos have incorporated all of the moving (wearing) parts into a stainless steel canister or 'cartridge'.

Think about it, why would they call it a cartridge if it was not meant to be replaced (toner cartridge, ink ....

All of the electrical gubbins are housed in the head remaining dry, there is zero wear to any of those parts.

Anyway, here's the US manual for Grundfos cartridge replacement:

http://www.cff3.com/sqlimages/colormark/LocalUser/grundfos/PDFS/loResPDFArt/luptl019lr.pdf

Here's the store selling Grundfos cartridges

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Grundfos-Pump-Replacement-Cartridges-Parts-19193000

Sponsored Links

Probably because there's no demand here, for the price not many people are going to be messing around trying to get the cartridge out of the housing when they can just swap the head with 4 screws.

Probably because there's no demand here, for the price not many people are going to be messing around trying to get the cartridge out of the housing when they can just swap the head with 4 screws.

This is the point, there is actually MORE work involved in changing the head than the cartridge itself due to wiring.

I think it's lack of knowledge more than anything, also if Grundfos feel they can sell you a whole new pump they will.

3 cores is hardly a tour de force.

For anyone with any ability it is 6 of one half a dozen of the other. .

Most of /a fair proportion of. Professionals know where to get the heads alone, or buy the pump complete to use as and how necessary.

Stocking bits and bobs of things such as this is unnecessary waste of storage space and a false economy.

AGAIN your pump is oem and a totally different kettle of fish. . You should be moaning to the system builder not Grundfos.

3 cores is hardly a tour de force.

For anyone with any ability it is 6 of one half a dozen of the other. .

It's not at all, have you watched the video above?

Once the four bolts are removed you have two options either:

a) un-wire the head and replace as a complete unit

..or

b) slide out the cartridge and replace.

This saves on replacing unnecessary parts, saving on time and labour. Now if this was your own house given the option of a & b above which would you go for?

I think that you are missing the point of replacement parts.

In the case of showers a cartridge is usually available but at about 70% of the cost of a new shower. For most people its new shower time.

Stuart Turner pumps have a service kit costing about £113 and taking about two hours to fit on a pump that is about £300 new. Well as a DIY repair then that's doable but not commercially if paying for the time.

Since replacement pump heads used to be about £90 then why replace the can ( that's what they seem to call them at the makers ) at about £50 ?

Tony

Once the four bolts are removed you have two options either:

a) un-wire the head and replace as a complete unit

..or

b) slide out the cartridge and replace.

This saves on replacing unnecessary parts, saving on time and labour. Now if this was your own house given the option of a & b above which would you go for?

Undoubtably a) if the corrosion and scale on the flow manifold wasnt too bad I'd be fitting a much more efficient head off a modern unit.

Ollski, do you happen to know if the smart Grunfoss pumps will fit onto the old 15-60 bases?

Tony

Since replacement pump heads used to be about £90 then why replace the can ( that's what they seem to call them at the makers ) at about £50 ?

Tony

If we are talking about £50 for replacement head this puts different spin on things (excuse the pun).

Please provide a link for your post.

Don't get all excited!

I was using the approximate US figures you quoted.

Tony

Ollski, do you happen to know if the smart Grunfoss pumps will fit onto the old 15-60 bases?
Yes

Grundfos sell the UPS2 head separately specifically to fit into existing Selectric 15/50 and 15/60 bases. One head replaces both older versions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back