GSM activate auto dialler... trying to get to work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If anybody has experience of these communicators made by these people and a way of identifying the model I’d be grateful. I cannot get mine to operate despite the setup appearing correct.

I bought a unit secondhand a while ago off eBay from a decommissioned intruder alarm, stated to be tested and working before it was removed. I think it’s a fairly recent unit but I cannot tell. Wired it up as per the engineer manual for my Accenta Mini; auxiliary power output and bell trigger. Easy enough. I then followed an online pdf manual on the gsm-activate website to follow the sequence of powering it up, inserting a sim, observing two LEDs on the pcb to make sure the unit found signal before settling into standby mode, which is does. Alas, it snags when testing the system by sending it a text message, which it should reply to instantly stating how strong the signal strength it. Nothing. No message. Needless to say upon putting the system into alarm condition similarly does nothing to notify me by way of text message, which is obviously the whole purpose.

As it stands the communicator is still wired to the control panel and has the blue LED illuminated, which means it has found sufficient signal strength and is effectively in day mode. Pondering on this; I bought an Asda mobile pay as you go sim for the alarm, at the time I think 4G. Perhaps this isn’t compatible with the system despite the blue LED suggesting there is signal(?). Does anybody know how I can identify if this secondhand gsm-activate module is 4G? I did not think to check this before buying the £10 SIM card. Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Any alarm engineers out there who know these systems - I’d be keen to hear from. Alternatively, please point me in the direction of something equivalent and inexpensive. I want to use my existing Accenta/Honeywell panel instead of upgrading to WiFi & mobile apps at big expense. Thank you in advance to anybody experienced to help and guide me.

Sponsored Links
Pictures may help.

Many of these things are 2G.

A quick search brings up a 3G model. But there there should be instructions with the unit?

See image. With thanks.

Attachments

• IMG20220823234146.jpg
    IMG20220823234146.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 82
Just googled instructions, only works on G2
Putting sim in while powered up can damage unit.
Sims to use Vodafone, O2,Orange &T Mobile NOT Three network.
There is an UK technical email address for any problems, have you sent them a message.

Sponsored Links
Just googled instructions, only works on G2
Putting sim in while powered up can damage unit.
Sims to use Vodafone, O2,Orange &T Mobile NOT Three network.
There is an UK technical email address for any problems, have you sent them a message.
Thanks for the reply. How have you managed to ascertain it's a 2G only model? The SIM in it is Asda mobile which uses the Vodafone network.

Most gsm units are 2G …..most sims are backwards compatible to 2G apart from 3 network and other networks that use the 3 network ….if it’s on a voda network it should work …..

Thanks. I have the same manual on pdf but no joy. It does not respond to my texts despite correct set up etc. Are there any trade only GSM diallers that are still commonly used in new installs? Doesn't seem many on the open market now that WiFi and apps are the done thing.

Hi as it was a used unit did you try To perform a quick factory reset which will delete ALL stored numbers and custom messages please use text command #RESET?#

Yes. No luck with the reset text message either - have just tried. I can only presume it's faulty. Thanks for everybody's input.

did you try the sim card in old phone then text it, at least you find out if the phone numbers the right one.

Thanks for all your replies. Yes the SIM card works. I have forwarded a photo of the unit to technical dept at gsm-activate who inform me it’s a very old unit likely to have gone faulty. Suggested a new 4G unit to future proof against 2 and 3G no looker operating. Are there any other suggestions out there for these SIM units?

I think it depends on what you want the unit to do is it just to let you know when the alarm go of, or turn alarm on of by text. then there's how much money you want to spend, if its old alarm maybe upgrade it to some thing like this. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ECSPK1.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back