GU10 lamp exploding !!!

I can only speak for myself.

It occurred during September last year
they had been on for around an hour or more
ther was no splash of water
no sudden rush of cold air
and poltergeists played no part in this

I put it down to plain old sloppy manufacturing.

The manufacturer of these lamps (photo) suggested there was another manufacturer using the same name and as such could and would not accept any responsibility.

You can see the makers name if you look although I didn't make it too obvious.

Osram only from then on and I will not fit customer supplied lamps!!

Sponsored Links
The bulb picture above looks remakably similar to what happened to as couple that have gone the same way in our kitchen spotlights...cheap bulbs I suspect!

Good point ellal but, with regard to price they are not that cheap.

Several places sell them and after they add their mark up the average buyer will think they are good value for money as they are 50p cheaper than down the road.

Someone making a pot of money out of this because it not just GU10's is it!

But we all know that don't we.

That happened to me, i phoned the manufacturer and asked to speak to their quality control dept. Told them what happened and they reimbursed me for carpet damage as a bit of glass melted into it. Had there been any injury then i would have made a satisfactory claim against the company. They tried the blag saying 'someone else may have copied our name' - but legally if its got their name on it, its their responsibility. They have to prove otherwise.

These lamps are notorious for doing this, they get everso hot and what happens is the air space between the bulb and outer glass expands, becomes pressurised and bang! Ones i had do this were made by sylvania.

Mine are both up and downlighters which i replaced with megaman 11 watt equivalents (7 watt in the uplighters even then i had to modify the fitting for it to look half decent)

My advice - change for low energy like i did (if you can) and speak to the manufacturer. If they dont satisfy you then if you want to, you can pursue a legal claim against them.

Sponsored Links
That happened to me, i phoned the manufacturer and asked to speak to their quality control dept. Told them what happened and they reimbursed me for carpet damage as a bit of glass melted into it. Had there been any injury then i would have made a satisfactory claim against the company. They tried the blag saying 'someone else may have copied our name' - but legally if its got their name on it, its their responsibility. They have to prove otherwise.

It happened to me today, burnt a hole in the carpet after popping. These bulbs blow often, and blow the fuse every time. I tried putting lower wattage in. But this is the first time they have dropped burning hot glass in the process.

They're a fire hazard - if that glass had landed a foot away from where it did, on paper, the house would have burned down. I am now afraid to use the lights.

Oh, and the manufacturer labels are not visible, because they always burn away. Every used bulb has no writing left on it. So I do not know who made this one! Frustrating.

I have had this once before in a house but it was the whole house not just 1. it was a end terrsce which was the first to be supplied and incoming voltage was 250v instead of 240v i simply changed the lamps in the house to 250v which you can get from b and q and the lamps have been fine scince

I swapped the normal GU10's in my kitchen (4 spots), and put in some LED type GU10's from B+Q's (GBP 12.00. for 2) - works just as well, and saves me a fortune in electricity -paying for themselves in the first year! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

What about using LED GU10s?

Thanks for this advice - I looked up LED GU10s and yeah, they must surely be safer, what with the lack of heat.

But there are downsides, as I have just find out on this forum (see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83593). The dimness and the fact that (quote) "The light produced by LEDs is a pure colour and is no good for any practical use" would be problems. I could use them on the stairs ok, but I use the room with 10 of these fitted for reading, work and craft-type projects, so adequate light is kind of important. Then again, maybe I could use a lamp whenever doing work?

What about using LED GU10s?

Thanks for this advice - I looked up LED GU10s and yeah, they must surely be safer, what with the lack of heat.

But there are downsides, as I have just find out on this forum (see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83593). The dimness and the fact that (quote) "The light produced by LEDs is a pure colour and is no good for any practical use" would be problems. I could use them on the stairs ok, but I use the room with 10 of these fitted for reading, work and craft-type projects, so adequate light is kind of important. Then again, maybe I could use a lamp whenever doing work?

http://www.rapidonline.com/latestne...omponents&title=LEDs+are+not+seen+as+too+cold

The LED GU10 replacements made by Philips are very good - (7W and 3W MASTER)

Turns out the piece on LEDs might be a bit out of date. I just got 10 for £5 each and they give out perfectly good light - 40W equivalent. So LED (no heat at all) is the way to go. Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back